a few of my 8rda+ mods

K62

K62

Sailor
first heres a picture of the heatsink for my southbridge i made out of a old 486 hs, it was cut with a hack saw, lol i need a dremel bad :p

next, i noticed these chips, (voltage regulators i think???) got quite hot, so i slapped a few heatinks on them, also from a old pentium heatsink, also cut with a friggin hack saw, lol and a few minutes i noticed the small chip right above them gets very hot, so.. might slap a heatsink on them too

next thing for sure will be to raplace that crappy heatsink on the northbridge!!! lol im working on wattercooling this puppy soon anyway

K62

K62

Sailor
there, i jsut put a heatsink that i cut outta a old coppermine slot 1 heatsink on that vreg chip, (anyone knwo what it does ?) that ran hotter then the voltage regualtors

Last edited:
W

whargoul

You forgot the voltage regulater to the left of the vreg chip at the top. :p

Last edited:
W

whargoul

hehe, 'tis wee, isn't it. :p This is what I think it should look like... notice the HS on the wee 'lil one.

NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak

rm -rf /
LOL!!!

You people are nuts!!!:D

Like I'm not to go soldering on a brand new motherboard!;)

D

dfgsd

i put a socket a cooler on my northbridge and put the old northbridge sink on my south.

K62

K62

Sailor
Re: LOL!!!

Originally posted by NewBlackDak
You people are nuts!!!:D

Like I'm not to go soldering on a brand new motherboard!;)

thermal paste and a dab of super glue on the corners :) holds them on realllly good, infact i tried to get one off cuz its not stright, i dont know hwo to :S

Last edited:
NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak

rm -rf /
Do you think it actually helps?

If you were going for a look cool thing, you should have polished them all to a beautiful shine. That would have been cool look in and see all this reflective metal staring back at you.

I like my Geil Ram because of that. The SLK800 is shiny too, but you can't see it from the fan:rolleyes: .

NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak

rm -rf /
That vreg chip is what tells your board how much voltage to give the CPU. Those of use with lower vcore options :cough:NF7":cough: have to mod that puppy to get what we want from it.

W

whargoul

When you start getting up to a 200Mhz FSB and higher voltages those chips get hot, and cause you system to become unstable.

K62

K62

Sailor
ohhhh i finally did it, just was cutting a new hs for my southbridge, and took a nice chunk outta my finger

NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak

rm -rf /
Mine is perfectly fine at 211MHz FSB :p

I might try that see if I can get higher.
I have a 486 HS that I can just thermal paste down to the southbridge. I can cut up the heatsink off a mac processor that went dead on me.It's pretty big, and I've been hacking off it for awhile. It's what made the ramsinks for my 9500 infact.

D

DuronClocker

Erm...putting a sink on the southbridge won't do anything for ya, lol. That said, putting a heatsink on the MOSFETs will help sometimes in aiding in stability at higher vcores and higher CPU frequencies. Putting a heatsink on a voltage regulator itself is kind of pointless though, even if it does get warm. Then you can't mod it. Then again, who needs to mod chips on an EPoX board ;) Oh yeah, those early revision 8RDA boards don't have a high enough IO voltage :p

I would think the MOSFETs and northbridge would be the most critical to cool if you're doing this just for overclocking purposes..

K62

K62

Sailor
yeah, i figured cooling the voltage regulator wouldnt do much, but i dont see how it could hurt lol so wham, i did it... i thought the southbridge might do something, but ah well lol, im gonna water cool the northbridge, but i hear the northbridge sitn very flat, its convex, jsut like my gf3 gpu =[