Viewmaster 17'1600x1200
seagate 13.6 7200 ATA 66
seagate 20.0 7200 ATA 100
maxtor 4.3 5400
12X Hitachi GD-7500
ricoh MP7040A

J

Jesse Thompson

I love how people always brag about how much more stable win2k is than 98. I have both currently installed. I have windows 98 se tweaked as far as it'll go, and I have BSOD at most once a month. Games never crash, and I almost never have illegal operations and such. Win2k, while being just fine at apps and such seems to crash in games at least 3 times as often as 98, and it is much slower in a lot of games, and there are many glitches with install programs and everything else. Hardware drivers for win2k have not yet matured, and there are so many little program incompatabilities that I've just about completely stopped using it. Maybe you'll have better luck though.

zartan

zartan

Master Of Disguise
Originally posted by Jesse Thompson:
I love how people always brag about how much more stable win2k is than 98. I have both currently installed. I have windows 98 se tweaked as far as it'll go, and I have BSOD at most once a month. Games never crash, and I almost never have illegal operations and such. Win2k, while being just fine at apps and such seems to crash in games at least 3 times as often as 98, and it is much slower in a lot of games, and there are many glitches with install programs and everything else. Hardware drivers for win2k have not yet matured, and there are so many little program incompatabilities that I've just about completely stopped using it. Maybe you'll have better luck though.
I am sorry to disagree but none of what you said I find true. Win2K runs my games just fine. I have used 98 and ME before and I can't see any difference between the two. Also an important issue you brought up is that you tweeked 98 to the max. But you didn't say anything about tweaking 2000. Besides it's not too cool to run an OS that crashes all the time unless you tweak it. An OS should be as stable as possible with no tweaking necessary. So I bet if you compare 98 to 2000 without your tweaking you'll find out how better 2000 really is. Maybe there are some games that don't run under Win2K but I have never come acoss them.

[This message has been edited by zartan (edited 03-19-2001).]

A

Anitdaisu

as far as compatibility with games in 2k , check out www.ntcompatible.com. Oh okay about 2000 and gaming performance. Well, what I would always try to do is play games in Open GL mode since open GL is an NT thing. Also, regarding the stability. There must have been something wrong with how you set up 2k. Just guessing though.

------------------
my specs:
AMD T-BIRD 750MHz
256MB RAM
MAXTOR 12.7 gb UDMA66 7200 RPM
SONY CD ROM 48X
PANASONIC 8X4X32
SIS 10/100 ETHERNET
SOUND BLASTER LIVE VALUE
DIAMOND VIPER 770
300W SUPPLY
CAMBRIDGE FPS 1000