4 speakers setup

J

JrKnight

I'm planning to buy a 4-speaker output 3D soundcard (e.g. SBLive) and I currently own a pair of Altec Lansing ACS48 with subwoofer. Should I buy another pair of speakers for my soundcard to get better 3D effects? If so, is an ordinary cheap pair of speakers enough for the rear? Or should both front and rear speakers of equal quality? What if I buy another set of ACS45 for rear, or even worse, use generic multimedia speakers? The ACS48 has already burnt a hole in my pocket and it'll cost me a fortune to buy another set. Any suggestions?

C

collinj

Buy a decent, but cheap set of speakers for the rear (a set without a sub would be fine). The only problem with this is having to fiddle with the controls on the speakers to get the balance right between the front and rear channels.

Since you already have a good set of front speakers, getting a cheap pair for the rear should be ok, as long as they dont sound tinny, and can keep up with your fronts if you have the volume cranked.

J

JrKnight

Just what I've going to do. I can't afford for another pair anyway (U.S. dollars exchange rate is high in Malaysia.) But wouldn't the cheap rear speakers affect the overall quality of the sound and cause distortion? By the way, what do you think of the ACS48? I personally think that it rocks.

C

collinj

The hint here would be buying a set of speakers that have good sound quality, and can go relatively loud.

I am running a set of yamaha yst-m7 speakers right now, and they sound excellent, but they have no subwoofer (the sub is a $170 seperate part). The speakers cost about 60-70 dollars canadian right now, im not sure what that would be where you are, but they would be about 40 american or so. A set like this would be excellent for a rear channel setup, as they have excellent overall tone. The bass they produce isnt the greatest, but the sound quality and overal tone is excellent.

About your altec lansing speakers, im not sure. I've heard lots of good stuff about them, but I have never actually heard them.
How is their bass level?

I will be shopping for a new set of speakers with a subwoofer very soon, and the acs-48 speakers are one of the sets i'm looking at. I dont really want to give up my yamaha speakers, but they dont produce the best base, and the subwoofer is an expensive add on. Im looking at either altec lansing or cambridge soundworks speakers. Let me know what you think...
Collinj

J

JrKnight

The ACS48 can handle as much bass as you can pump in. I've tried playing it at high volume without hearing any distortion at all. Don't buy the cambridge PCworks unless you really want its 4 speaker setup. I heard the PCworks couldn't handle much bass and the bass isn't as great as the ACS48.

Associates