3dfx gone and now forgotten?

Ratt

Ratt

On this date today: Dec 15, 10 years ago 3dfx closed its doors forever.

3dfx letter to customers

Together with Quake way back in 1996, they started the beginning of 3D games on PCs.

Maybe if Rampage could be released earlier, perhaps the current discrete video card market could be different today....

Bought my first 3dfx Voodoo2 12MB in 1998 and still using it for retro gaming.
Anyone here still keep their 3dfx cards? Still using it?

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
My voodoo 1 next to a broken gtx 470. Some good times with that card :(

Last edited:
E

ELF2000

I still have my 12 MB Voodoo 2 card installed in a Pentium 233. I had some great times playing Unreal Tournament. I also have a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card.

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
:D Remember how everyone (myself included) got 3dfx wrappers to play UT on their TNT cards when the demo came out.

Still 3dfx was a great company; miss playing glquake :(

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Yep, I remember those days. :D

Long time ago in computer time for sure.

I remember playing Unreal (Not UT) on a Voodoo Banshee. :)

Flash

Flash

About a year ago, I asembeled a Win'98 game machine out of some old hardware I had packed away.

MOBO: ASUS P3v4x
CPU: [email protected]
Graphics: ATI 980prp

A fast sys for those old games to say the least. :)

So, I got out my Voodoo 2 card out, dusted it off, and installed it, Yes! I still have the cable!
However, I could not get the Voodoo2 to work with the 9800pro/drivers. Anyone got any ideas how I might get it to work?

Will the Voodoo 2 only work with another PCI card and not with an AGP card?I
It's been a long time and my knowledge about it has faded. ;)

Last edited:
Ratt

Ratt

Back then, I had fun playing Quake II with Eraser bots. Half-Life was great too. Till, today i have yet to finish Quake. Been trying to finish it on and off over the years and discover every secrets in every level without reading a walkthrough.

GLquake still looks good. Running on a pair of Voodoo2 SLI.

Quake at max res of 800 x 600 (image brightness and contrast adjusted) the original screenshot was too dark.

Glquake 1.13a with torch flares enabled, glfog enabled at maximum depth and a little bumpmapping intensity at 1024 x 768 res

It's hard to imagine that a company that once held 85% of the 3d card market went bust.

My voodoo 1 next to a broken gtx 470. Some good times with that card :(
Sorry to hear that. Shouldn't that card be still covered under warranty?

I have never experienced a video card failure ever till this year when 3 of my cards failed. :mad:

IMO, it is due to the current use of BGA chips that is more difficult to check for soldering defects and the use of lead free solder . Eventually they will be prone to cracking due to the thermal cycle stress, shorting due to metal whiskering etc. None of my old cards that uses tsop chips with lead solders have failed yet. Have yet to try the oven bake method for my broken cards though. Checking and reworking BGA chips is way beyond my skills.

From a different perspective, this is a good thing for companies since more failures means more replacements to sell and in the end more profits. :rolleyes:

I suppose the only thing that we can do is to buy gpus with the best warranty.

However, I could not get the Voodoo2 to work with the 9800pro/drivers. Anyone got any ideas how I might get it to work?

Will the Voodoo 2 only work with another PCI card and not with an AGP card? It's been a long time and my knowledge about it has faded. ;)
It's been a long time too for me but I recall having some issues with certain motherboard and processor combination. You can certainly use an AGP card.

Here's my specs.
Athlon T-Bird 1.4Ghz
Asus A7V-133
Nvidia 6600GT (primary)
SB Live! Value

Sorry, I have never used an Ati card before. Try using older drivers and check for motherboard BIOS updates. My SB Live won't work with the A7V until I updated it.

Another good source for anything related to 3dfx is FalconFly Central

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I remember my first 3D card was the AGP Voodoo Banshee 16MB. Then I inherited a PCI Voodoo 3. Lots of good time gaming with those before going to nVidia. I still have my issues with ATI and the driver support compared to nVidia is terrible, but I confess, after going back to AMD because of what I feel is a better cost/value equation I am now using another ATI graphics product and hope soon to add a PCIEx card and Hybrid Crossfire, so we shall see how that goes for me...

The hardest thing for me is the naming schemes. I can usually easily figure out the quality/advance tech hierarchy of nVidia cards, but for ATI you almost need a translator who speaks AMD/ATI!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I also remember taking a bus to the only local store that had the black Banshee card for a price I can afford and barely being able to endure the ride home to install it!

Then it was hours of original Unreal for me!

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
It's hard to imagine that a company that once held 85% of the 3d card market went bust.

They never made their own cards, that was their main downfall IMO.

R&D is hard when you don't manufacture anything.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

They never made their own cards, that was their main downfall IMO.

R&D is hard when you don't manufacture anything.
:confused: AFAIK nVidia never did card manufacturing outside of reference designs either.

ATI and Matrox did their own manufacturing, but the Rage Fury Maxx and Parhelia is likely something they would rather forget :D

Ironically, 3dfx went bankrupt 2 years after buying STB and building their own cards ;)

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
:confused: AFAIK nVidia never did card manufacturing outside of reference designs either.

ATI and Matrox did their own manufacturing, but the Rage Fury Maxx and Parhelia is likely something they would rather forget :D

Ironically, 3dfx went bankrupt 2 years after buying STB and building their own cards ;)
I don't think that had much to do with what happened to them.

They were falling behind the others too quickly at the time and Glide was on it's way out.

747FlightEngineer

Dead Computer Walking
I remember with fondness playing Turok and Quake with my 3DFX. Now I have to run 2 PNY's to equal the fun that I had back in those days.

Associates