3D Cards only last for little more than 1 year then gets damaged

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

Hello guys.

Whatta strange (and costly) thing is happening to me.
Since about 3 years, My computer or something has damaged 3 highend video cards...,

a. Zotac 8800 GTX
b. MSI 250 GTS
c. EVGA 460 GTX

Syntoms are the same... at the beginning...

Very few corrupted textures, then after days or weeks, bigger corruption, then game crashes, then computer lock up with error in "nv_4.dll" or something, then, game not even loads.

I paid for this last video card (EVGA) about 250.00 at the beginning of 2010.
What could be damaging my videocards? because GPU is NEVER more than 70c under heavy load.

Is there an utility to really test your GPU to see what's faulty? (memory, gpu, or circuitry?)???

Thanks

B

Binar

excessive harmonic distortion on the circuits...overloading the circuits resulting in sudden voltage drop can dmg your Videocard
do you experience random PC reboots,random power blackouts in your area
is your PC connected directly to the power outlet or is connected trough any type of filters, suppressors, conditioners or UPS equipment ?
do you experience the same symptoms with a dif PC (Videocard going bad)?

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

Even although in my room, the electrical wiring is very poor installed (old house from about 45 years), I keep my computer to an APC UPS 750VA.

So (I guess) power should not be a problem, or even if it could be a problem then the HDD or other more sensitive stuff would suffer from it.

There must exist any software that at least half diagnostic your GPU (not only if it displays or no 3D textures).

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

Monitor: LG 19inches widescreen FLATRON L192WS
3D CARD: EVGA 768 GTX
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X4 920
HDD: 1 SEAGATE 7200RPM 120GB
1 SAMSUNG STORY STATION 1.5TB (external via USB).
MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK K10N750SLI-110dB
DVD WRITER: LG 16X
AUDIO: SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

PowerSupply is a Cooler Master (Extreme Power Plus 550w).
AC Input 115/230v - 8/6.3A 60/50Hz
DC OutPut +3.3 +5V +12V +12V -5V -12V +5Vsb
Max. OutPut 25A 25A 16A 16A 0.8A 0.8A 2.5A

Shinma

Shinma

New or not, excrement is still excrement.

With that said,
If similar power supplies were used in the past,
Mobo may have been damaged.

Even if power supply did not damage the mobo,
Mobos with nForce chipset are not generally favoured, due to higher than average temperatures.

Provided your electrical wiring is properly grounded for the use of your UPS,
and
Provided your UPS is functioning correctly,
Only the power supply and mobo is left as possible culprit for premature failures of video cards.

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

I think I should slap Shinma Up, in his face really hard, for calling excrement to my power supply. That's what I bought, period. No need to say that:
The best power supply brands are:

1. ThermalTake
2. Antec and
3. CoolerMaster.

So be careful that I slap you hard in your face, there' s no need to insult anyone for whatever he has bought.

Binar, Huge and me demand your apologies.

Ratt

Ratt

What's the condition of the cards? Are they dusty? Perhaps you could try cleaning it. I have 2 units of 6800 Ultra cards and both will malfunction when covered with dust.

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

Even althought my case is uncovered, I try to clean it every two or three months with air duster and a brush, so I guess the dust is not the problema.

Shinma

Shinma

YankeeMan said:
... The best power supply brands are:

1. ThermalTake
2. Antec and
3. CoolerMaster. ...
:eek: I seriously hope that you are joking about the best power supply brands.

IF serious about your statement, for others not familiar with power supplies, reading this thread,
All the above brands do not manufacture their own power supplies.
Design, quality, performance... will fluctuate wildly.

That includes the Antec brand.
Comments by Justintime and others can be read at the following old thread, Power supplies to avoid/generics

Ratt

Ratt

Is the computer in a smoke free area?

Are you sure that they are clean between the gaps? Try swabbing the PCB with rubbing alcohol using a Q-tip just to make sure.

Some dust or particles might have gotten between those tiny SMT parts and between solder beads making the surface of the PCB as a conductor. 6800 Ultra cards are prone to this since it uses a lot of power. I use PCB cleaner with Q-Tips working one small area at a time to ensure that the surface of the PCB is clean from dust and other pollutants like cigarette smoke and atmospheric oils.

If all three cards fail using the same motherboard, then there is a possibility that the motherboard is defective.

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

I must say two things, First of all, I should slap SHINMA's face and Second but not less, I must disagree with you.

Just for the reason those brands has equipments built from different other enterprises doesn't mean they suck or that their final products are sh¡t, extrement or anything.

For instance in cars, Mazda is a very reliable brand, but several of their parts are NOT MAZDA, some are BOSCH, some are MITSUBITSHI, some are PHILLIPS, etc. comprende?

typical example that happens in PSU.

Comprende?

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

Ratt... no, no smoke and yes, very clean. (althought no use for alcohol in they pins or contacts).

cheers.

Associates