2GB of memory showing as 1.5 in winXP

O

ol' man

workin fingas to the bone
Today I decided to do a reinstall and now my system is showing only 1.5GB. I will boot the older system(dif. HD) and see if it says 1.5GB.

O

ol' man

It is still happening.

I tested 1 stick at a time and they both showed 1GB. But when I put the sticks in together they only show 1.5GB. It doesn't matter if they are in dual channel mode or not, IE. right next to each other or skip one slot.

O

ol' man

Justintime said:
When you boot at the memory count how much is reported?

2GB

Here is screeny of what is going on. Check the gif.

CPU-Z says I have 2GB also.

Justintime

Justintime

Maybe a reinstall of or newer chipset drivers? Weird that! Might try a fresh install of windows to see if it does it from stock or only when drivers are loaded?

DEAN

DEAN

AMD/ATI Fanboy
Hit control alt del and see what Task Manager is reporting as physical, thats all that matters... Also once you do some updates on winxp it may read correctly.

Shinma

Shinma

I would browse the mobo manufacturers' website for any BIOS updates dealing with memory issues.

O

ol' man

Well I installed win2k and it still read 1.5GB. So then I ripped everything out of the case only booting with a PCI vid card and now it is reading 2GB.

I also had a power LED on the wrong posts. There is no explaination what the posts do in the manul but right above them it says they are pwr_led on the PCB but in the manual they are in a different place. None the less it was either all the PCI-E cards in the mobo or that LED in a weird place shorting something:eek:

Awesome thing about this processor is I can give win2k another shot now again since there is no hyperthreading. Only reason I went to winXP was because of the HT thing in win2k didn't work well.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

If this is that 4 PCIe graphics card board, it might be an early BIOS issue. Perhaps in time there will be a BIOS update for the issue. :confused:

O

ol' man

Yes it is working now folks. At least with one PCI-E card anyway.

I am shifting it around a little.

O

ol' man

DEAN said:
Hit control alt del and see what Task Manager is reporting as physical, thats all that matters... Also once you do some updates on winxp it may read correctly.

Yeah this is how I know.

O

ol' man

Did not work. I found out that it is when I run more than 1 PCI-E card. In fact I can run either 1 PCI-E card or only 3. THis is weird.

Justintime

Justintime

Any newer Bioses about? I got a feeling that might be one of the issues addressed in an upcoming one if people are getting issues with that.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
ol' man said:
Did not work. I found out that it is when I run more than 1 PCI-E card. In fact I can run either 1 PCI-E card or only 3. THis is weird.

That does sound odd. :confused:

O

ol' man

Well it has something to do with 2GB of ram and running these three 512mb cards. I went and bought 2GB of kbyte budget ram and it does the same thing. I also bought 2x512mb PNY budget ram too to test it out and I run into the same thing. No matter what the combination is I always end up with 1.5GB of ram. I have swapped vid cards, swapped ram etc.... If I take out one of the vid cards the machine will not boot with 2GB of ram. If I take out one of the sticks of ram then the machine will boot no problem with 2 vid cards.

I am wondering what would happen if I have one more PCI-E vid card to through in here.

I found a new bios, F3. I was using F2. Now the temps show up it appears more normal.

Lots of bugs.

Looking through the manual it says they only support Gigabyte graphics cards.:rolleyes: