25 Vintage, Collector, & A Rare or Two - O.B.O. Sale

L

LMBrigance

I just finished cleaning out the spare room where my husband, the pack-rat, has stored miscellaneous things over the past couple of years. I finally got him to let me clean it out and stumbled across numerous computers and thier components. I would love to sell some of the computer items so I am posting here to see if anyone would be interested in the old CPU's I managed to ferret out of that mess.

Robert said that most of these worked when he took them out, and that they just got set aside when other pursuits demanded his attention. So they don't fall in the catagory of "dead".. but they are obsolete. I have a number of early Pentiums (Pentium-Pentium III), some AMD's, an IBM, and a Cyrix set. From some minor research a couple of these are collector pieces and one or two are supposedly "rare". I will probably be posting this list to collector and vintage sites as well. I dunno yet.

When reasearching, a number of CPU's in this pile have appeared in numerous Linux/Unix sites. My concern is, most of those sites were of dubious nature. "Phreaking"/"Freaking" terminology was repeatly used and a majorority of sites were selectively technical/restrictive in genre. No one page/pages in these sites were cause for concern in and of themselves, but the relatives and overall content set off minor alarm bells in my head. My personal interpretation of these sites has lead me to believe that some of these CPU's were once, or can be, (not sure which) used in connection with hacking. Any suggestions on how to screen possible buyers of this nature? I'm all for "educational" hacking, in principle... it the one's who do nasty & awful hacker type things I don't want to inadvertantly supply to in the event my reference materials are current. Most of this stuff reads like stereo instructions.

Further research indicates that a number of these CPU's, mainly early Pentiums, have re-coverable gold content that can be salvaged and sold to places that buy scrap gold (like the commercials for scrap gold) I just don't know how reclimate it, how much trouble it would be, if it's worth it, etc. or I would do it myself. Any "how-to" information would be greatly appreciated as I am sure Robert will re-fill the storeroom with the same or similar contents in the near future. Hopefully that will give hime something "mechanical"/"engineer"y to do with these items. Did I mention he's also a project hound?!

I have dozens upon dozens of computer stuff yet to go through. M/B's, sound cards, video cards, RAMs, HD's (mostly Segate/W. Digitial and a couple Q. Fireball). I think I will be sorting the RAM pile out next. Looking forward to that one... *sarcastic grin*. Pointers/tips for ID'ing these things faster than it took me to do the CPU's? Suggestion/referral for beneficial disposal? (Personal benefit and unique worthy causes/charitable venues preferred.)

Cursory research suggests that there is something in Quantums that can recycled/parted-out/sold and used with the XBox 360 systems?
Something to do with Xbox Live? One specific Q.F. model in our pile of H.D.'s supposedly has some kinda of "super magnet" that could be removed. Why would someone want something like this? Don't magnets screw up your system/erase stuff.... i.e. not a good thing? Any education and/or explination for this would be helpful.

Getting back to the CPU's, they are now catalogged and sorted for future reference (a.k.a. - spring cleaning). I just wanted to give others a chance to Re-Use/Reduce/Recycle these things rather than just chucking them in the garbage and extra pocket change is never a bad thing. CPU's to be sold by the piece or as a lot on a "first come, first served" basis at an O.B.O. price. Any reasonable offer will not be refused. Please let me know if you are interested, or know someone who would be. I have no idea what is or isn't in demand but I figured what could it hurt to write people about these or post to BBS? *Shrugs* If nothing less, I'm sure to learn something new about my favorite playtoy (the computer).

The list is attached to this post as an attachment. It's clean, buggie free, and .doc format (1 page). Please excuse any poor grammer or misspelled words. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Leslie M. Brigance
edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you

Attachments

L

LMBrigance

Sincerely,
Leslie M. Brigance
edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you
*Sheepish Grin* - Sorry 'bout that, it's habit to sign my internet stuff (e-mail/BBS posts/etc) with my e-mail. I'm really a blonde you know, I just dye my hair red for artificial intellegence.

Associates