2011 Rugby World Cup

Ratt

Ratt

2011 Rugby World Cup
Any fans of rugby here?
Who do you think will make it into the finals? I hope it would be the repeat of the 1987 finals.

France vs New Zealand

I have a bad history of my favorite teams in any sport losing if I actively show any support so I'll just sit down passively and hope for the best.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I'm not knowledgeable on rugby, but I've watched a couple of the games (Canada did better but was no match for the best teams).

Tough sport. Look at the bodies on those guys -- no skinny guys like me.

Ratt

Ratt

Les Bleus vs All Blacks

My wish came true. :eek:

Last played the game more than 25 years ago. Thankfully I never had any injuries.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Seems a long time now since England won it (2003). England were playing quite well 10-12 months ago but peaked too early and went backwards since then. It was pretty obvious they wouldn't make much of an impact in this tournament.

I'm glad the Kiwis won it though - they were clearly the best team, plus they haven't won it for a while so they got my sympathy vote too. That said, I don't think it was an outstanding tournament - even the kiwis were pretty awful in the final - just slightly less bad than France.

Danceman - yep it certainly is a tough game. No silly shoulder pads or helmets like in American handball (sorry, 'football') ;)

Ratt

Ratt

I'm a long time Les Bleus supporter and a fan of Serge Blanco. It was close this year. So far they have been runners up 3 times.

Apart from kissing, why can't the French do anything else right? ;)

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
The French are great to watch, because they're so unpredictable :)

French teams always seem to have problems with their manager at World Cups too. The rugby team threatened a mutiny at this world cup, and the same happened with their football team last year, to their manager Raymond Domenech. The players just decided to basically ignore him and manage themselves :p

Oh well, 4 years till the next Rugby World Cup, but at least it's not long until the Six Nations starts again.

Ratt

Ratt

Yeah, this reminds me of another Frenchman. Eric Cantona. Responsible for making the upturned collar fashionable and famous for that kung-fu kick.

I'm not really into soccer and I don't know who are the current players in the Red Devils team now. One that I'll never forget is the legendary King Eric. :D

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Yeah, this reminds me of another Frenchman. Eric Cantona. Responsible for making the upturned collar fashionable and famous for that kung-fu kick.

I'm not really into soccer and I don't know who are the current players in the Red Devils team now. One that I'll never forget is the legendary King Eric. :D
Yep, Eric was one of a kind - perhaps not quite on the same wavelength as the rest of the human race, but a very talented footballer and entertainer (and now an actor).

I think many people here sympathised with him over the kung-fu kick incident at Crystal Palace, as the verbal abuse that footballers have to put up with from rival fans can be pretty nasty and personal (and that's before they start throwing sharpened coins, bottles, etc).

I don't know what it's like at sports events in the US/Canada, but quite a significant element of football (soccer) fans here are morons. The fans from the two sets of teams have to be segregated by barriers & police, and no alcohol is allowed in the stadium. Big matches such as Man Utd v Liverpool even have to be played at lunchtime so the fans can't get totally wasted by the time the match starts.

Contrast that with rugby and cricket matches, where spectators can sit where they want and drink as much they want! Sadly it's just football which seems to attract that element....

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Canadian football (a little different from American football -- 12 players, wider, longer field, only 3 downs) attracts rabid fans, especially from Saskatchewan (they're the ones in green, and remain Sask fans no matter where in Canada they move), but they can sit anywhere in the stands and drink beer with only verbal abuse.
This Sunday are the East and West semi-finals, finals the week after, then the Grey Cup game, named for and originally donated by Earl Grey, Governor General of Canada in 1909. He would have been British.
My team, the BC Lions, lost their first five games, but have won most of the rest. They haven't had a good playoff record under their current coach and GM. We'll see in two weeks.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I didn't even know there was such a thing as Canadian football. They must be a bit better behaved than our fans though if they can drink in the stadium (and better than your ice hockey fans in Vancouver - I've seen those guys after their team lost a cup final and it looked pretty ugly!).

named for and originally donated by Earl Grey, Governor General of Canada in 1909
Ha, I guess that's the same Earl Grey who the tea is named after.

Ratt

Ratt

I don't know what it's like at sports events in the US/Canada, but quite a significant element of football (soccer) fans here are morons. The fans from the two sets of teams have to be segregated by barriers & police, and no alcohol is allowed in the stadium. Big matches such as Man Utd v Liverpool even have to be played at lunchtime so the fans can't get totally wasted by the time the match starts.
I prefer to watch in the comfort of my home, never been to any sport events. Ever.

I remember the Hillsborough disaster in 1989. At that time I was in Asia and it was televised live after midnight local time. I was going to bed when I turned on the TV to watch for a few minutes. All I see was the people trying to climb over the fence onto the field, there was no running commentary only silence. I turned it off and went to sleep. Only later when I read the news did I realized what happened. :(

Associates