2.4 is still overheating...badly

quicksilver98

quicksilver98

My processor has become completely unstable and jumpy. I have searched far and wide for an answer but have come up empty. It seems to run fine under normal conditions, but as soon as I start playing games, or do the slightest bit of mulititasking the temps skyrocket and my computer starts freezing terribly. I am using the Asus Probe software that came with my motherboard for monitoring temps, and I have seen the temps go from 43 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius in about 2-3 seconds. I can't put this thing under the slightest bit of load or it will go nuts.

I am using the P4 cooling fan that came with the processor now, since my Koolance CPU cooler doesn't work for shit. I can't even keep the computer running for more than 20 seconds before my processor heats up so badly that it shuts down with the Koolance cooler.

I am thinking that my chip is screwed, since I can't seem to find anything else wrong, but it just seems weird since it is a brand new P4 2.4B.

Also, I am not overclocking. My voltage is at 1.525 for the processor, and all the other settings are normal.

coyote81

coyote81

Well since Asus Probe get's the temp from the Bios, I think, LOL.
I'd say update the new bios for your motherboard, if this doesn't work then RMA the Chip, try the new one and tell us how it goes.

Justintime

Justintime

Sounds like bad contact, recheck the seating of the sink. Its possible the heatspreader is somehow damaged/loose but highly unlikely.

quicksilver98

quicksilver98

I did think about the contact between the chip and the heatsink...could it possibly be that I am don't have enough heatsink compound between them? That sounds unlikely, but I just spread a very thin covering on the chip...very thin.

Updating the BIOS is a good idea...I am on 1003, and I know that they have a 1004, maybe even a 1005 out by now. I will try this and let you guys know...thank you

quicksilver98

quicksilver98

Okay,

I just updated the BIOS, cleared the CMOS via of the jumper on the motherboard, and re-entered all the appropriate settings...the sonofabitch is still overheating at the drop of a dime.

So, my next question is this: how many of you have actually dealt with doing an RMA on an Intel chip...what kind of service should I expect? I am guessing that if the chip is screwed, there is nothing to do but buy another one from intel....or do they replace it...? I guess I should return it, and wait for them to tell me what is wrong with it?

This sucks...I just bought the damn thing, too....:mad:

Todd a

Todd a

Where did you get it and how long ago? It might be easier to RMA it to the place you got it.

Have you checked to make sure the CPU is seated completely in the socket. I had a Duron that did not seat all the way down into the socket and the temps were REALLY bad. It there anything interfering with the heatsink (a capacitor on the motherboard (onlikely for an Intel heatsink, but you never know). When you take it off see if the thermal grease on the CPU made good contact with the heatsink. Also make sure the bracket on the motherboard is attached securely and is not coming loose. Is the heatsink attached tightly. It should be pretty tight and very hard to shift.

It could be a defective chip and the heatspreader does not make good contact with the core under it.

quicksilver98

quicksilver98

Okay, I don't think this is an issue, but underneath the heatsink there was this black film covering that was approximatley the same size as my chip....I believe that is was just some sort of heat compound that just came off after reseating my heatsink numerous times...I guess it really doesn't matter because I have been using my own compound anyway, but I thought I would mention it. I am using a very thin layer of compound...I coat the entire chip but keep it really thin.

My heatsink seems to be in good mechanical order, and seems to be seating just fine onto the chip...the fan stays anywhere between 2500-2700 revolutions/minute also. I can't really think of anything else.

Todd a

Todd a

Take the CPU out of the socket and put it back in to make sure it is in the socket all the way. Clean that thermal pad off the heatsink and clean the CPU. You can use one or the other, but not both.