P

pcheung

I had planned to have 100base-T network in my house. However, after
I wired the whole house with category 3 twisted-pairs cable, I realized
that I should have used the category 5 one instead. I wonder if this
would downgrade the performance of the network to 10base-T level even
with 100base-T NIC & hub. If so, is there any way to get around this
problem other than rewiring (it would be very tough since the wire was
installed inside the wall) ? Thanks in advance.

E

Eccentric

Although I've never wired a network as you've stated, theoretically the cable should not downgrade it to just 10base level of performance. Reason being is that the categories of cabling, are simply standards set for optimal performance. For example it is not favorable to use Cat1 cable with ethernet. Why? One, you're in violation of IEEE standards. Two, your performance will suffer. I'm not saying that your network will run as if you had cat5 cable, but it should work above the 10baseT level. But you're liable to get a range anywhere in between the 2 with substandard cable.

------------------
Eccentric
"Go Linux"

A

amarinovic

Cat 5 cables have bandwidth of 100MHz and Cat 3 cables have 16MHz...
With encoding techniques, 100Mbps data stream is compressed to about 30MHz so this is the minimum bandwidth you need to run proper 100Base-T.
But, all parameters for Cat. 5 cables (attenuation, NEXT etc.) are calculated for maximum distance at which you can run network (100 meters) so if you have smaller distances between hubs and NICs perheaps you can achive good performance even on worse than Cat.5 cables. This is absolutely non compilant to any standard but if it is your house you can try and "play"...
Anyway, please inform us what happened because it is going to be an interesting result.

Associates