BIOS deleted, how to restore?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: BIOS deleted, how to restore?

BIOS deleted, how to restore?

I wanted to flash the bios with the latest update and ended up deleting it. The computer has no bios and the screen is completely blank when the power is turned on. How can I restore the bios to the bios chip? I have access to other computers but they are not the same spec. The dead computer is a dual pentium 350Mhz, Gigabyte motherboard, GA6xds bios, SCSI peripherals, IDE floppy. Can anyone help?

1. HOT SWAP - The idea is to replace the corrupt chip with a working one. The best option is to take the working BIOS chip from a motherboard which has the same chipset although that's not absolutely necessary. It just has to give you a chance of booting into DOS.

Before pulling the working BIOS chip out of it's original motherboard, set the System BIOS cacheable option in the BIOS to enabled.

After you have put the working BIOS in the motherboard with the corrupt BIOS boot the system to DOS (with a floppy or HD).

Now replace (while the computer is powered on) the working BIOS chip with the corrupt one.

Flash an appropriate BIOS to the corrupt BIOS and reboot.

2. GET YOUR BIOS REFLASHED - Try here http://www.badflash.com/ to get your BIOS professionally reflashed.

3. BOOT-BLOCK BIOS TECHNIQUE - You can try to reflash yourself if you can get your hands on an old ISA video card. Your motherboard probably has a boot-block BIOS. This is small area of the BIOS that doesn't get overwritten when you flash a BIOS. The boot-block BIOS only has support for the floppy drive and an ISA videocard. So, you'll need one of those. These instructions are derived from info over at posted over at http://www.ping.be/bios/ . It's a great source for BIOS info.

If you have an Award BIOS, the boot-block BIOS will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file on the floppy and execute it automaticly by putting awdflash *.bin in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

If you have an AMI BIOS, the AMI boot-block BIOS will look for a AMIBOOT.ROM file on a diskette. Copy and rename the correct BIOS file on the floppy and power up the PC. The floppy doesn't need to be bootable. You will see the PC read the floppy, after about 4 minutes you will hear 4 beeps, this means the transfer is none. Reboot the PC and modify the CMOS for your configuration.

4. UNIFLASH - But, if it doesn't work, here's another place you can go:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...wen/ufhome.htm

Download UNIFLASH Version 1.17b and read the Micosoft Word file uniflash.doc. There's pretty good instructions on it and it's meant to flash the BIOS without any intervention or video. It's an old program, but if nothing else works, give it a try. It does have an Expert mode you can fool around with.

Good luck!

1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

My asus kv allows you to make a bootable disc with your Bios on it....I just wonder how the damm thing will know its suppose to check the disc if the bios is missing. Does it have a backup controller chip that will just check the floppy...or is this just for restoring an older bios if your new one turns out to be buggy????(need to make that disc when I get home...what ever the use...see asus website....download the manual for details).

In the BIOS there is a section called the Boot Block whic never gets updated. That is why it knows to look for the floppy.

Regards MOF

Thanks guys, I will give your suggestions a try today and let you know how I get on. Dave_B you rock, large!!

Can I know how to get the bios chip out of the motherboard? Thanks!!

regards
    mirage

[This message has been edited by mirage (edited 06-24-2000).]
    You will never learn to swim if you DUN make the first jump!!

In reply to Mirage, the instructions on how to remove the BIOS chip are at the links below. I quote Jack Rowland of Badflash.com "Be sure to put the chip in the proper direction. Get it backwards and the chip is a gonner.
    See http://www.badflash.com/removbio.htm and http://www.badflash.com/wrapup.htm for removal and replacement instructions.
    Be sure to discharge your CMOS before you boot up too. There should be a jumper
    on the motherboard for doing that. If you can't find one you can pull the
    battery and use a 10K resistor across the battery contacts on the
    motherboard for about a minute." End quote.

Update on deleted BIOS: I tried Dave_B suggestions, it very nearly worked but the computer stopped booting up just before it could display the A:\> prompt. I got in touch with badflash to order a replacement chip. When it arrives I shall let you know what happened.

Received the BIOS chip from Badflash and it worked like a charm. Fantastic! I would recommend them to anyone with a similar problem. Now to install Win NT 4.

Congratulations Norense. Glad to hear that you have recovered your motherboard.

Regards MOF

This is the exactly problem I was trying to avoid and explain in the other similar thread.

If you did it my way, which is slighly different, the hot swap flash would probably had been successful and you could save your money.

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/007450.html

Thread Information