Cabling connection to motherboard
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Cabling connection to motherboard

Hybrid View

Cabling connection to motherboard

I just put together my new computer with an ECS XP1600 w/ Amptron KT266MB DDR. I'm using an older box that my Pentium I was in and the board fit fine. Brand new power supply. It won't fire up. I think I put the power LED on the right posts. How can I test this? Anyone have any ideas. Thanks!

------------------
    Amptron KT266 W2K, 512 PC2100 DDR
    LinkSys Router
    7200 RPM 30GIG
    2 KDS .26 17" w/ Appian Hurricane
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X2.0 2033 megahertz AMD Athlon XP nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X IBM 75G

To test the power switch on the case, you can remove their connectors from the pins on the mobo and temporarily short the two pins on the mobo with something like a small screwdriver. If your rig fires up, then your case power switch might be defective.

To test the power supply itself, remove all connectors, including the 20 pin molex one. With the power supply plugged into the wall (naturally), look for a green wire surrounded by black wires going into the 20 pin molex connector. Then take a steel paper clip, bend it into a "U" shape, and short the green wire's pin to one of the black ones. If the power supply fan turns on, then your power supply is probably ok.

Surviving all this, try re-seating everything on the motherboard, including the cpu chip and the ram. Then double check ALL connections with your mobo manual. Then try to fire it up again.

Originally posted by jgl1955:
    ...new computer...ECS XP1600 w/ Amptron KT266MB DDR...older box that my Pentium I was in...Brand new power supply. It won't fire up...

?
    Is the chassis ATX form factor and not AT form factor?

------------------
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

It worked! The switch was okay. The power supply was okay. I unplugged everything then re-seated it. Simple, yet difficult. Thanks.

------------------
    Amptron KT266 W2K, 512 PC2100 DDR
    LinkSys Router
    7200 RPM 30GIG
    2 KDS .26 17" w/ Appian Hurricane
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X2.0 2033 megahertz AMD Athlon XP nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X IBM 75G

Thread Information