Hard drive shoing 2 GB not 20 GB
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hard drive shoing 2 GB not 20 GB

Hard drive shoing 2 GB not 20 GB

I need help any would be appreciated ... I have a Fuji HD with 20 GB of space but when I attempt to check available space I show only 2 GB of space , I am on Win98se with FAT 32 , what can I do to use all the 20 GB , and can I do it without losing all my files ....

MitchSchaft Guest
    For starters, post all your specs. Hardware/software. Also, did you just buy this drive? Did you buy it used maybe?

1. did you check the bios whether it detected the hdd size correctly after you install the hdd?
    2. have you check the hdd partition? if you didn't set it up yourself or bought new, it may have been partition for 2Gb only.
    Friends May Come And Go But Enemies Accumulates!

steps:

1. check that the jumper on the drive is not set to "limit to 2GB".
    2. Check that the BIOS recognises the drive as 20GB.
    3. Go to FDisk in DOS and chec the partition information of the drive. It may only be partitioned to 2 gig or have more than on partition on it.

caution: if you bought the drive 2nd hand then it may only be partitioned to 2gig because the rest of the drive is stuffed.

Thank you for the help ...first it is a PIII running Win 98se, you are right , I made a phone call to the gentleman who actually installed the hard drive and he left a vm for me that stated that it was partitioned for only 2 GB, but what can I do ??? I am unfamiliar with fdisk , and I want to know if I can work on this without severely losing data , OS , or my Windows office 2000 ??? thank you again for any help

Where can I check the bios for the partition size and how can I change without losing all data
    Originally posted by stmah:
    1. did you check the bios whether it detected the hdd size correctly after you install the hdd?
    2. have you check the hdd partition? if you didn't set it up yourself or bought new, it may have been partition for 2Gb only.

You can use Partition Magic to fdisk & resize your hard disk space by conmbining the other 20GB. If it's a hassle, let the gentleman repartiton your drive to the full
    capacity.

Of course, backup your data before fdisk.

Originally posted by Kbereal:
    ...I am unfamiliar with fdisk , and I want to know if I can work on this without severely losing data...

FDISK wipes out all information on the HDD.
    You may want to consider the option stated by Berserker.
    Partition Magic information, click HERE.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If you can borrow another HDD, ghost it on to that and then format the original and ghost it back.

Thank you for the insight ... I used Partition Magic 7.0 and it worked like a charm ....easy to install and easy setup. Thanks again.

Thread Information