Not sure what my problem is...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Not sure what my problem is...

Not sure what my problem is...

I just built a new system for my friend..
    T-bird 800 on abit KT7. Everything worked fine except the floppy disk drives light stays on all the time, like its trying to access it, and whenever you put a disk in it it ruined the disk. I was able to get it to work long enough to install windows and then the problem came back. I tried another floppy with the same problem. And now the cd drive, a plextor cdr 8x4x32 is now having the same problem, the light keeps blinking like its trying to access it all the time and it wont even open. Ive tried changing cables and makeing sure everthing is connected well. Does anyone have an idea what the problems is? I though mabye a bad motherboard or power supply? Power supply is 300 watts athlon compatible.

------------------
    smurq@newmail.net
    http://paid4surfing.jumpcomputers.com/
    Amd Thunderbird 700@840, Asus a7v mobo,128mb pc133 cas 2 crucial ram
    20.5 gig 7200 and 10 gig 7200 western digital,Yamaha 8/4/24 scsi burner, Toshiba 48x ide
    3com 10/100 ethernet card,16mb blaster banshee agp,Sound blaster live
    smurq@newmail.net
    http://paid4surfing.jumpcomputers.com/
    Amd Thunderbird 700@840, Asus a7v mobo,128mb pc133 cas 2 crucial ram
    20.5 gig 7200 and 10 gig 7200 western digital,Yamaha 8/4/24 scsi burner, Toshiba 48x ide
    3com 10/100 ethernet card,16mb blaster banshee agp,Sound blaster live

I was going to say that your floppy cable is on backwards, but you claim that it did in fact work before. I'd make sure that the connectors are firmly inserted at both ends and that there are no kinks in the cable. Having failed that, I'd say you need a new floppy drive.

------------------
    I have a computer! It has 256 megahertz...
    That beat is FAT yo...jack it up.

i would assume you loaded all your mobo drivers if so set your bios to default if it still happens then i'd send the board back you shouldn't have any problems especially one this simple from the getgo. unless your power supply is bad as this is a new system or new case i can see a defective ps causing problems as well. normally i'd say cdrom caused a bad install or ram is defective but you shouldn't have problems with a floppy drive especially when you tried 2.

try the floppy drive at another computer ( if you can ), then you will find out if it is the floppy or the mobo. About the cd-drive I would suggest the same thing, but in this case where they are both doing the same thing I am almost sure that it must be the mobo,cables, wrong settings or wrong connection.

------------------
    www.izelord.com
    If it is too loud you are too old!
    try pressing the anykey

Is the floppy drive set to "1.44" in the BIOS and not set to "720Kb" or something else? This is pretty easy to overlook (sinse it's so simple) when putting a system together.

I believe Vanentini was on the right track with his origional thought. Your ribbon cabe is most likely reversed at one end. VERIFY the RED striped side should be on pin #! AT BOTH ENDS. That should take care of the problem. Let us know what you find out.

Thread Information