Heat problems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Heat problems

Heat problems

I have a p2 400, not overclocked. 128mb RAM and a V3. My whole case is definitely too hot because on trying to OC my voodoo3 just another 10mhz it started crashing. All I want to do is add another fan to my case, not the voodoo3. How is this done?

Sterling_Aug Guest
    There should be room in the front bottom of your case from up to a 4" case fan to blow air into the case. You may need to remove a plastic bracket provided for a small fan, but they do not move enough air. I got a 4" 120 volt 65 cfm fan from Radio Shack bolted to the bottom front of my case blowing in and a 4" 12 volt 105 cfm fan bolted to the top of my case where I cut a hole above the CPU blowing the hot air up and out of the case. This provides PLENTY of air cooling for all of the devices and keeps my case cool to the touch.

I have a dell mini tower by the way, and I have looked on all the UK h/w sites that I know of and found no signs of fans and cooling. Any ideas?

Sterling_Aug Guest
    Maybe you can convince 2cool to ship to the UK.

http://www.2cooltek.com/

heres what you do nebbis

1st put pentium fan on the v3 $5

2nd if you need more case cooling,then you want to add a intake fan on the bootom of the case and a exaust fan at the top.
    radio shack has a nice assortment.
    $20

currently I have 3 intake 1 cpu,1 pointing fresh (from the bottom fans)at the cpu,2 pentum cpu fans on my v3(glued) ,and a p/s fan drawing air out also a 8 inch 120 vac fan at the top drawing all hot air out=VERY COOL.

You might want to try the fan on the v3 only for starters... I have a v3-2k. W/o a fan I could get to 155, but that was about it. Over that it would crash... I put a 486 fan on it and now it's rock stable at 185... Go figure...
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

DEAN/Splatt, I always hear people talking about putting pentium or 486 fans on their v/cards. But, the thing that puzzles me is where do you plug the fans into?

Sterling_Aug Guest
    Nebbis: Most motherboards have extra connections to plug in more fans. If they are not on your motherboard, then you can buy 4 pint to 3 pin power connectors, or even 3 pin Y-Splitters you can plug a fan into, or as a last resort, you can splice into the power cord directly and wire fans to the 12 volt DC lines, or you can but 120 volt AC fans and plug them into the wall outlets.

I have tried all of these ways and they all work.

OK, cheers sterling. I thought they had to be plugged into the v/card and I couldn't see any fan type plug on my V3. But now I know.

Thread Information