Need cooling suggestions!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need cooling suggestions!!!

Hybrid View

Need cooling suggestions!!!

I've been having problems lately with my system crashing and games just closing for no reason. I believe it's do to heat because it only happens when the systems been on for an hour or two, when it boots up from being cold it runs great. I'm on a amd k6-2 350 (vcore 2.2, 3.5x 100fsb, not overclocked). Although the thermostat only says the cpu's at 53C and the mobo is at 43C, sometimes it alarms at like 90C and drops back down to 53C. Maybe it's a thermostat error and it's really hotter than 53C? When I touch the side of the box where the CPU is it's abnormally warm. I'm using the standard h/s + fan w/ exaust fan on the p/s. I just added an intake fan (make-shift ) but it didn't seem to help. It lowered the temp by about 2C. I'm just wondering how I could get it cooler.

You might try setting your polling interval up to once in 20-25 seconds, and it will probably keep that alarm to a minimum. Raptor

One other idea, Did you put any medium between your chip and the heat sink? Radio Shack sells some thermal compound that may do the trick for you. Just tell the salesman what you need it for. Raptor

yes, i have the thermal compound between the h/s and the cpu. The alarm goes off like once every 2 or 3 days. You think it's just a thermometer error? it jumps and falls back down about 30 degrees...

Is it in a hot room??? Also, where do live? Try air conditioning. I have similar probs.
    Hey Bobby and Billy, you out there?
    These are not my pants.

Just moved it to an air conditioned room. Hopefully it will work...

I solved this problem by getting the PHO (Pentium High Output) CPU fan from 3dfxcool. It's like $20 but really works for all K6 processors. Also, you might try running the system without the case and see if that helps.

The air conditioned room brought the temp down by 8C. After being on for 3 hours the CPU is at 46C and the board is at 35. Now my make-shift intake fan (heatsink fan mounted to 2 spare cable things, you know, the ones like serial port brackets and parrellel brackets). Taking in cold air and not hot air. Looks good to me. Hasn't frozen up in a while. Thanx everyone

I have an ASUS P5A-B MB and it used to alarm once or twice a day. I installed the program called " Waterfall" from ZDNET.COM and it has never done it since. This is a P200MMX running at 268MHZ. Raptor

Thread Information