pci or agp?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: pci or agp?

pci or agp?

can someone tell me the difference between agp and ati...i am looking to upgrade my ati rage pro (agp i guess?) 8 mg card..

huuuuuuhh....

Earth is calling jazzy jeff
    I repeat
    Earth is calling jazzy jeff

Where were you last 2 years?

"sarcasm" cant live w/o it!!! anyway i think pci would be the better choice, its usually cheaper and not much things support agp i think..... ;-)

is either one faster than the other?

i could be wrong but i thing agp has more bandwidth to chuck around larger textures... i'm sure i will be put right if thats wrong. Just do a search on 'agp v's pci', that is bound to bring up something.
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com

"I know what your thinking.... should have took the blue pill"

Quite helpful aren't you guys :P

AGP uses system memory when texturing as opposed to pci which does not. If you have a faster processor this could mean in creased speed. Also, most new boards have 2x agp, which means it's basically twice as fast. And soon to come is 4x... If you have an older agp slot, that's prolly 1x, you won't notice much difference, but you'll definately save a pci slot...

Good luck...
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

Yeah thats it... Splatt uses bigger words than me and puts them in the right order
    simonf@panormania.com
    www.panormania.com

"I know what your thinking.... should have took the blue pill"

sooooooo, with my pentium II 300 and 128 mgs of ram i am better off with a pci card.....(im a little slow on the uptake!)

I'd say go with AGP. Less things to upgrade in a future.

------------------
    Drongar
    Why not Get Paid to Surf the Net?
    moneyguy.bizhosting.com

agp= better ,if you have a choice money wise get the agp .

pci bus=33mhz
    agp=66mhz
    agp= advanced graphics port,better for graphics ie games lets say you buy card like a tnt or your ati(i dont know why)and it has 16-32 megs of ram on it and you are running a texture demanding game it will send the textures to the main memory for fast access.
    if you start to go over what your 16/32 will deal with.From what i understand.

pci what ram you have on the card is all you get.

In theroy

thanks for the advice...i'll start looking for agp cards i guess. i have a pent II 300 with 128 mgs of ram....any video card suggestions?

hello, i'd try a tnt or a v3 (either original or non-ultra 2), but the v3 defeats the purpose of agp- it doesn't use the main memory, which with my understanding was most of the point in agp. for any of these cards, the best prices can be had at www.pricewatch.com - they should have all of those, and a bunch more to boot! i personally would go with a tnt or tnt2, but i like 32 bit, and i'm not too worried about speed. but feel free to give the v3 a try too, it's also a great card! any of these should fit your gaming requirements more than well. good luck! lava ;-j

------------------
    lavajumper, master wizard
    visit our site at members.xoom.com/wizardofcomp
    why can i never think of anything witty to put in these?

Just thought I'd try to help out here

Since you are reading Hardware Central's forums, you can jump over to their tutorial section and there is an article on AGP. Lots of easy learning.
    Before you go buy a video card, you should read up on some reviews that are out there that compare the best cards available.
    Consider also what you intend to do with your system (games vs apps) and how much you can afford to spend.
    Also, consider that NOW may not be the best time to buy a new video card. I'm not saying it isn't just that if a really awesome new card is coming out soon with like Voodoo 9billion technology, it means the current line of video cards will drop in price, so holding off a month or two would save you some cash.

-bEnTaGoN

P.S. Just remember:
    ISA = Is a Slow Animal
    PCI = Pretty Crappy Interface
    AGP = Added Garbage Pile

Thread Information