zip driver x CD-RW
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: zip driver x CD-RW

zip driver x CD-RW

Do you think it'd be a "bad move" to go for a zip driver (250MB) instead of a CD-RW driver? I'm thinking of having a zip in-built driver for huge amounts of text and some pictures I need to save. But I was told that I'd be in better shape with a CD-RW drive. That's new media to me and I'm lost. Besides, I'm not willing to spend more $ for devices I won't necessarily need.

Thank you

P4, 1.7GHz
    256 RAM

In my opinion there are pros and cons to both. CDRW is by far the winner as far as expense. Blank CD's can be had for as cheap as 25 cents (or less, sometimes free with rebates) each while zip disc media cost at least $7 to $10 for 250MB. CD's hold 650MB.
    CDRW drives may cost more in the short run but in the long run they are so much cheaper to use. They are equally simple to operate. I do think zips may be just a little more
    convenient if you want to save something more quickly. Just shove it in and go. As far as safety if what you are saving is important to you, I have heard that CD's will last 100 years. I have had several zip disks fail (can no longer be read, therefore all of the data is lost). I use a zip drive and a CDRW. If I had to choose one I would go for the CDRW.

I too have a Zip and a CDRW and I would axe the ZIp anyday compared to my CDRW.

Make sure you get a CDRW with buffer underrun protection.

GOod luck.

PS> If you want to save your money buy an AMD next time!! :-)

------------------
    AMD 1GHz
    Abit KT7A-Raid
    WD 30GB 7200RPM ATA100
    16x LiteOn DVD
    Ricoh MP7163A
    Imoega ZIP100
    TNT2 32MB Vid
    Aopen AW744Pro Audio
    17" Flat Mag-Innovision

i would go for the cdrw. i have a cdrw and zip at home and a zip at work so make use of the drive frequently. it is ideal as a quick transportable media, while a cdrw is better for backups and infrequent movement of data.

i can see that when i leave my current work i won't need the zip, unless the new one uses them too. the cdrw, however, is compatible with all cdroms and the media is very cheap.

------------------
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

Thread Information