Voodoo 5 -- fatal exception when init. 3d?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Voodoo 5 -- fatal exception when init. 3d?

Voodoo 5 -- fatal exception when init. 3d?

A friend recently bought a voodoo 5 and installed it, but when a game which utilises the board for its 3D support is started, he gets the message:

"A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C026AFD7 in VXD VWIN32(04) + 0000117B. The current application will be terminated".

System properties claims there is a device conflict on 3 occasions ('memory range', 'memory range' and 'input/output range') against 'PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge'. I have tried altering the memory ranges the device uses so that it says there are no conflicts, but then the board does not work correctly at all.

It has been suggested to me that he needs to update his BIOS? It's a Gigabyte super-7 series motherboard running an AMD-k6-2 at 500MHz.

Any help will be much appreciated...
    Last edited by Stween; December 12th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.

if your using 95 you need the usb supplement here http://www.thepage.org/WUnew.shtml
    and also amd update for cpu higher than 350.

whatever os your using you might try a different strip of ram could be defective, if your using cleansweep disable it and any other utilities norton, macafee etc., unplug usb scanner, printer etc.

you might look for updated board drivers before trying bios update.

let us know what os your using and how you make out.

His system has been running for a long time before without the voodoo 5 ... i had to patch windows up to support the faster cpu when I built the system. As for the usb patch, when installed it simply crashed the system (if memory serves it messed with what the cpu patch altered), so that is not on the system. In any case he does not use any USB devices. What possible conflict could arise from something that is not on the system?

It is a conflict with the PCI bridge, apparently. Surely someone else has seen this problem? The entire system appears stable ... it is only when games which use the cards 3D abilities are running that the system falls over extremely regularly.

Does win95 support AGP fully? After all, is AGP not a PCI slot inprincipal, but with direct access to RAM? This might explain the conflict with the PCI bridge, also theres the fact that his old gfx card was a PCI 2D card. But then, this is not my field of expertise...

Stween

so it is 95, i believe there is a pci bridge patch as well for 95, in fact just found a floppy with it so go to ms site and d/l see how you make out this time around. also when you use the amd patch for a processor above 350 you should step it up incremently 400,450 etc.

Thread Information