ISA Configuration Utility
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ISA Configuration Utility

ISA Configuration Utility

Years ago, I bought an AST Advantage Adventure computer - 6075p. 75mhz pentium running Windows 3.11, lol! A whole 1 mb for video! As usual, I was messing around with everything to see how it all worked.

I went into Dos and went into the plug and play ISA Configuration Utility (by Intel). Silly me deleted a few items just to see what would happen - like my modem and my sound card. Of course I didn't know any better and never removed the cards and didn't add them back in.

Needless to say, over the 3 yr warranty, I kept having to replace the sound card and modem cuz they didn't work right. I told the authorized AST service people that I messed with the ICU - but of course they never corrected it.

I eventually just put in a plug and play modem and sound card, and eventually started building my own computers and forgot all about the AST computer.

All these yrs later, I decided to restore my AST computer to its original configuration along with the original Vibra16 soundcard and 14.4 Starbright modem (they're connected to each other through connector cables and work together).

Booted up fine - everything worked great - then started to have problems again on the re-boot with the sound card. The jumpers were all correct on the sound card and modem hardware. Then I remembered that stupid ISA Configuration Utility...

I went into the ICU in Dos and low and behold, I saw an "Unknown Card" listed about 100 times! I tried to remove them but I get an error message saying that I can't because it wasn't installed using that utility. (I have no clue what other utility installed it).

I can re-format and restore my drive until the cows come home but it won't change a thing as the ICU utility runs in non-volitile memory. (In other words, it's in the bios memory somewhere, but of course there's nothing listed in CMOS).

I decided to add the Vibra16 and 14.4 Starbright modem cards back into the ICU, then booted up into the Bios and disabled the Plug and Play by the OS. Voila - system booted up and everything worked!

But it troubles me that all those "unknown cards" are still listed in the ICU - even tho there are no resources assigned to them. It makes it hard to see if there is a problem when I have to go through 100 of them. Any of you old computer users know how to get rid of them? Like I said, simply using "Remove" in the ICU doesn't work!

Geez, had the same card with my old sb16. Also had loads of problems. For the life of me I cant remember how I fix it. Think there must be a manual option and from there you have to set the irq's.
    EPOX EP9NPA+
    AMD 64 3000+
    2x 512mb Samsung DDR 400
    80gb Western Digital
    Benq DvD Writer
    LG Combo
    19" Mag Innovision CRT
    GeForce 6600GT
    Windows XP Pro SP1

Geez, had the same card with my old sb16. Also had loads of problems. For the life of me I cant remember how I fix it. Think there must be a manual option and from there you have to set the irq's.
    EPOX EP9NPA+
    AMD 64 3000+
    2x 512mb Samsung DDR 400
    80gb Western Digital
    Benq DvD Writer
    LG Combo
    19" Mag Innovision CRT
    GeForce 6600GT
    Windows XP Pro SP1

Thread Information