Gigy's Lil' Tip :)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Gigy's Lil' Tip :)

Gigy's Lil' Tip :)

After looking at the "What resolution are you in" post, I was wondering why my monitor would only allow me to view only up to 1024x768 and no higher, well, I fixed the problem.

If you have this problem, it's probably because your monitor is configured for PNP [Plug N' Play] allowing the max viewed to be 1024x768. If you would like to be able to view at higher and odd ranges, follow these steps.

- R/click on desktop
    - click on properties
    - click on the settings tab
    - bellow the picture of the monitor, it should say "Plug and Play monitor on <your video card>" If it does, click on the 'Advanced' button the the bottom right.
    - click on the monitor tab
    - there should be a check beside "Automaticaly detect Plug & Play monitors", if there is, uncheck it.
    - restart Windows

You should now have *many* other resolution modes you can view Windows in - instead of just 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. If you get into a resolution and your monitor stays black, just hit 'esc' and it will kick you back out into the last res. you were in.

Instead of saying "Plug and Play monitor on <you videocard>", it should say "Default Monitor on <your videocard>"

If this didn't work for you and your monitor wont come on when windows is loaded, just run 'Safe mode' and recheck the box.

I'd suggest you do this if you can't view past 1024x768 and would like to / if you have a capable video card / and if it doesn't hurt your eyes while looking at the higher modes (try changing the refresh rate with that mode if it does).

Thanks for listening, I was just excited that it worked and now I have all of these extra resolution modes to tinker with

------------------
    GgHr

Always running @ 1000MHz

[This message has been edited by Gigahert (edited 04-03-2000).]
    Please support the diminishing Doom2 revolution by participating in the Internet Deathmatch community. csDoom:
    http://csdoom.sourceforge.net/eng.html
    -Need to Play: Doom2.wad v1.9 + csDoom

well my sony doesnt need that because it automatically detects it and the drivers or whatever they are, are stored in the monitor and then loads it to the OS.

well i think thats what it does because it acts like a USB device. As soon as u plug it in it detects it as a Sony GDM-500PS.

nifty hey ?

Not to rain on your parade but I think that all depends on the vid card you have. I have a Diamond Monster Fusion that will not go any higher than 600 x 800 unless you change the monitor from Default to PNP. While set to PNP I can get up to 1600 x 1200. Probably 'cause the vid card is a peice of ****

Yeah,
    For some reason, it's all to do with the monitor settings
    Your card will allow you to view the screen at a certain res., same with your monitor, so if you have them both so that they are completely compatable, it's amazing

The Monster Fusion is quite a good card... it should be able to go far above 800x600. Most monitors below 15" won't go past 1280x1024 anyway.
    I've got a 16mb ATI Rage Fury 128 that will max out at 1920x1440 - hense the monitor won't go that high...so

No one will ever really need that high of a resolution anyway

------------------
    GgHr

Always running @ 1000MHz

[This message has been edited by Gigahert (edited 04-03-2000).]
    Please support the diminishing Doom2 revolution by participating in the Internet Deathmatch community. csDoom:
    http://csdoom.sourceforge.net/eng.html
    -Need to Play: Doom2.wad v1.9 + csDoom

True Enough. The vid card is similar to your ATI Rage Fury with 128 bit graphics and 16 MB memory and also goes up to 1920 x 1440 but my monitor will only handle 1600 x 1200 (looks like crap though).

i'll check what my sony goes up to when i get home from work.

i think it can actually do higher than 1600x1200 but i don't use it past 1280x1024.

i have my desktop, games and evertything in 1280x1024.

1600x1200 is ok for 1st person shooter games but it runs a little sluggish on my machine and the hud icons are too bloody small !!!!!!! even tho its on a 21" monitor

Thread Information