What Size UPS is Adequate ??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What Size UPS is Adequate ??

Hybrid View

What Size UPS is Adequate ??

I have a UPS which is made by APC that is over seven years old. At the time of purchase, I was using a 486/33 and 14" monitor. Tday I use a K26/400 and a 19" monitor. I do not have any available doc. on the APC other than it states on the back that it is good for 400 watts max.I looked at some APC backups that are 500w capacity and they are much lighter than my old one.They also reduced the amount of outlets on the back...
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good UPS and or something that would just kill your computer in a pwr outage without running the risk of your system running till the batt went dead? I would rather not have to spend an arm and leg for one if possible.
    I know that the newer MB's such as mine, do
    shut off with an outage but the rest of the stuff (printer,scanner, monitor etc,) could still be affected by the outage and pwr surge. Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

------------------

Generally, all you really care about is the cpu. If the printer/scanner/monitor go offline, it won't affect the data in any way. Look at the ups' they will usually tell you approx how long it will last. Small ones about 7-10 min. They go up from there. That is enough time to power the thing down if nec. It smaller cases all you need is the time to shutdown. Granted larger compaines need to keep running all the time.
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

Thanks for the reply Splatt. What I am really concerned about is when I am away from home and have the sytem running. I leave it up 24 hrs a day.

------------------

One way you can get an estimate of your power requirements is to look on the power supply for your computer (and other equip) you'll find a voltage (usually 120v) and an Amp rating; multiply these two together and you can estimate that your computer will average 25% to 35% of that number. Or consider that most new computers have either a 250w or 300w power supply' you know your power consuption can never exceed that number.

You really only need to put the UPS on your computer.

Another thing you should be aware of, laser printers are energy hogs. We have a HP laserjet 4V that is enough to overload a 600w UPS all by itself.

[This message has been edited by boyblue (edited 07-16-99).]

I have an APC 280 Pro.

I have my Printer, tower, 15" monitor, and my speakers hooked up to it.

It comes with "Power Chute" software that will close any open programs and shut down windows aroun 3 mins before the battery runs out of juice. That way if your not at home and the power goes out, it will shut its self down, unless the power outage is not long enough.

Another thing, my battery is rated to last 7-14 mins. I had a power outage while I was not home. I checked the log and it ran on battery for 45 mins!

The reason is this... When I leave my computer, I turn off the monitor, speakers and printer and just let the tower run. Takes ALOT less energy that way.

With my system running full speed ahead, the battery lasts about 9 mins.

Monitors take the most juice. With a 19" monitor you really need the bigger size UPS. Something like a 500VA would do the trick.

(My tower has 2 harddrives, 2 cdroms, 2 video cards, sound, lan, modem)
    Honesty is my only excuse.

Thread Information