The Dreamcast, who's gonna get it, I'm thinking about it!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dreamcast, who's gonna get it, I'm thinking about it!

The Dreamcast, who's gonna get it, I'm thinking about it!

Just wanted to know how many people are reserving a dreamcast. I am still thinking about it, but the more I read the closer I am to putting money down on it!!!
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Cosoles are not for me. They dont run FPS games in a way that is playable for me. (unless they are going to include mouse support).

I am deffinetly sticking with a PC for sure.

The specs for all the new console systems do look good, but so did the ones with the N64 before it came out, it didnt take long for the computer industry to pass it. Now the N64 looks very dated.
    Sometimes I wonder...

Personally, I'd wait for the Playstation II or the new Nintendo machine. The new PS will be using a form of Windows CE, and the Nintendo will have its main chip from IBM. With all the outside help they are getting I think they will have superior machines (again) also, I hear Sega is trying to get this thing out ASAP because they don't want to go head to head with Sony or Nintendo.
    You learn something new everyday.

AHH DReamcast sucks total ****! i played sonic for an hour, virtua fighter for half an hour, some boxing game for half an hour, sega rally 2 for half an hour, and like 3 other games at Software etc. Blach!

The only good game is house of the dead 2 with the light gun but there nto realeasing that to the u.s. cuzza the shootings!

get donkey kong 64, perfect dark, and jet force gemini for n64. (there nto out yet though)

Also, did ya hear the matrix isnt going on VHS only DVD cuzza THE SHOOOTINGGSS...AHH i luv that movie, hey thanks for listennin to my rant.

Morder

Well the reason that I am considering this is because it can run games much better than any pc thats out right now, its using the next gen powerVR chipset for graphics and it can beat the pants off of the TNT2 and and a p3. this processor they got in it can do 1400 million fp operations, and a standard p2 450 can only do 250 million. The pictures I saw on tweak3d's interview shows that the graphics are much better than anything out there. It even supports 32 bit color. There is usb ports for keyboards, mice and zip drives. The OS is windows ce, and it can be upgraded just like a pc for better support of the games. They already have direct ports from the pc lined up, and they are going to make them better for the dreamcast. The playstation 2 doesnt even have official specs out yet, and who knows when that is coming out and nintendo's system is just a dream right now, with rumors floating around about it. The dreamcast also sports an rj45 hook up for network play and a 56k modem for email, web browsing and specific hosting of dreamcast online games. Slave Zero is set to release when the system does and allows up to 4 people to play at once. If you goto www.voodooextreme.com/tweak3d and check out the dreamcast interview, you just might change your mind about it. Another reason I want it is because the pc is the worst platform for a good rpg, even baldur's gate ****ed real bad, they just cant make a good pc rpg.

Plus everyone knows that the first games that are released ****, they need time to figure the full power of what the system can do with the games. n64 blows too, there is nothing good except castlevania and shadowgate, plus who wants to spend 70-80 bucks for a game when the dreamcast system only costs 200 and the games 40-50?

[This message has been edited by Vidfreek (edited 06-28-99).]
    Vidfreek:

Hey well thats fine for me, I own a DVD and digital surround so I am not worried about it, plus where did you hear that? They have house of the dead 2 in the arcades?!?
    Vidfreek:

Looks good to me.
    Ordered one about a month ago.

The Dreamcast looks good, but I think Sony will probably do the same thing they did to the Saturn. The new Playstation has way better specs than the Dreamcast, it's backward compatible, and you can use your old peripherals.

As far as the PC vs. console thing goes, I got to have both. There are always great games for consoles that don't have similar counterparts on the PC. For example: Tekken III, Bloody Roar, and other fighting games. Also if you have friends over, it's alot more comfortable to play games in the living room around a big TV, than to pull up 3-4 more chairs to your computer desk.

the dreamcast equals a 400 megahertz computer, BUT. put up dreamcast VS. pc's half-life. nothin cab match halflife, plus the fact thats it can have 16 players and it doesnt split up the screen, PLUS the fact that computers advance every couple months, consoles about every year or so. I meant there not releasin the light gun cuzza the shootings, and maybe not house of the dead for console, not arcade. sorry. thanks

John

I'm tempted, but.... no. Sega screwed people with the 32X and the Saturn, and I see that trend continuing.

Dreamcast has a chance if Sony doesn't get the PSX 2 out next fall, or if they charge much more than $200 for it (keep in mind that it will be DVD-based, at least from what I've heard). If Sony can accomplish both of those things, Sega had better go back to the drawing board.

Mike
    "That's a good question! Let me get right on that with thinking!"

Morder - There are reasons to play games on PC's and consoles. I just bought Point Blank 2 (lightgun game) and Bloody Roar 2 (fighting game) for my Playstation which is something like 5 years old now. I'll put those two up against anything in the same category on the PC. The truth is there isn't anything in the same category on the PC. Like I said consoles are also better if you have company and want to relax in the living room and play some games. There really shouldn't be any console vs. PC debate, there's reasons for both.

Of course there should be one, even though the pc may advance further in a few months, your forking out over 200 every time to keep it running the games you want. The playstation has been going strong for a long time now, and the reason the saturn didnt do good is because the playstation was already out, this time sega has the jump on the gun. And from what my friend did on research for the dreamcast, he works at software etc., they are releasing house of the dead 2 and the light guns, I havent heard otherwise. But yes this console can compare to half-life on the pc, because the graphic capabilities are much better than almost anything out right now, www.phdweb.force9.co.uk/ go here and see what the new powerVR chip can do, which is in the dreamcast. Remember this has internet capabilities and can also be networked together for lan parties and internet gaming.

Oh and another thing, the dreamcast has become the most reserved console in history, with over 2.4 million reserved in the U.S. Software etc. has almost 100,000 reservations in the US alone. Playstation 2 is going to be in the dust because its not even in production yet and the specs arent for cetain either, and if it comes out next year, its going to be way behind.

[This message has been edited by Vidfreek (edited 06-29-99).]
    Vidfreek:

Sega had the jump last time as well. The Saturn was out at least 6 months before the Playstation. Didn't help because everybody waited to see what Sony would do. I predict the same will happen this time, especially now that Sony already dominates the market. Sony will become like the Intel of consoles. That bothers me though, I might buy both, who knows.

Just depends on who is going to support the system, dreamcast has a bunch of game makers lined up to make games for them, and even pc only games are going to be ported over and made better to take advantage of the dreamcast, if sony is a year behind on their system, they are going to have to bust into the market really hard, cause a year to be behind is a long time. And from what it sounds like the playstation2 is just going to be somewhat faster than the dreamcast, and have windows ce also, if its just faster I dont see anything happening with it. But we'll have to wait and see.
    Vidfreek:

PS2 specs -

CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"

System Clock: 300 MHz
    System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
    Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
    Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply
    Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
    Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
    Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS 3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second
    Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2

Graphics: "Graphics Synthesizer"

Clock Frequency: 150MHz
    DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
    DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
    Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer
    (24:8:32)
    Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second

Sound: "SPU2+CPU"

Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software
    Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz
    (selectable)