need help, installing win98 and having harddrive problems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: need help, installing win98 and having harddrive problems

need help, installing win98 and having harddrive problems

I am reformatting system and after I install win98 it starts installing just fine. After all the files are loaded it has to reboot.

after it reboots the system does not read the harddrive and says there is a failure.

any hints

abit bx6
    celery 450a
    voodoo2

What brand HD? I had almost identical problems when I upgraded to 98. Nothing I tried wuld make the upgrade work until I downloaded the latest version of Western Digital's EZDrive software and it fixed my problem. Make sure you have the latest utilities for whatever brand HD you have.

stimpy, during reboot do you get any beeps or do you know if system finishes the post.Does your hard drive even try to go? Some more imformation would help.
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Why are you formatting? Did it go down on Monday? If so it's a dead giveaway for CIH, or am I just going overboard with CIH, lately?

The harddrive is a 6.4 western Digital. One thing, If I go int the bios before I install win98 it detects the harddrive. After It reboots and crashes it does not find any harddrive when I check in the bios.

So it detects it as the primary harddrive , and then no harddrives are present after reboot.

Any suggestions?

Thread Information