CD ROM jumper setting
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CD ROM jumper setting

CD ROM jumper setting

I try to reuse a CD ROM from an old machine. However, the jumper setting in this CD drive is not clearly labelled. The jumpers are only labelled as 0, 1, 2, 3 instead of mater,slave.... When I connected it to the IDE port (2nd master or 1st slave) I can not boot the machine no matter how I set the jumper. The machine can not even initiate the video. I know this CD ROM is in good condition because it worked in another machine when I took it. Can anybody who have experience in use these drives give me some suggestions?

Do you know who makes the drive?

IF the cd-rom is a 2X, it will not work in an IDE port, needs to connect to a compatible sound card, make sure your IDE ports are enabled in your bios. Also, connect to IDE 2 port as a master.........plus do you have the drivers?, your OS may not recognize it.

Thanks, Nomar and BRAK. I do not know the manufacture of the CD ROM and the speed. I only know it come from a Pachard Bell computer and the CD ROM was made in Japan. On the back of the ROM say something like"comply with Canadan stardand". Are there different standards between US and Canadan for CD ROM drivers? I tried to connect it on the 2nd IDE port as a master driver and through a sound card. It did not work at both conditions. It prevented the machine from even initiating the video when booting. Initiation video should be very early step in bootting a bootting process. Any further suggestions will be appreciated.

If the CD ROM is an old 2 speed, it may not work connected to any sound card. It may require the older sound card with an ATAPI interface. Especially if it is a Panasonic.

The very first CDROMs weren't IDE devices. Instead, they used a proprietary protocol. There were 3 different protocols then: Mitsumi, Sony, MKE/Panasonic. In order to use these, you had to have a controller card supporting the same interface as your CDROM. Some sound cards had these controllers on them, but I've seen a standalone Mitsumi controller card. If that's the drive you have, there's no way It'll work off your IDE controller!

BTW, not all 2X were like that - I've seen a 2X IDE Sony that's working of an IDE port.

-PJ

Thread Information