Tape Backup
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Tape Backup

Tape Backup

I have an older Hewlett-Packard "Colorado 250MB" internal tape backup drive that I would like to install in my new computer.

The problem is, I have no installation manuals to follow.

I physically installed the tape backup unit into my computer.

I purchased a "ribbon" cable that could connect to both my 3-1/2" disk drive and my tape backup unit.

When I connected everything up, my 3-1/2" disk drive no longer worked and the tape backup unit failed to work too.

Am I doing something wrong here??

Are the 3-1/2" drive and tape backup unit completely different pieces of hardware??

I'm running Windows 98.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My HP Colorado came with it's own cable that has to be plugged into the controller or mb directly and has a connection to connect to the floppy cable end that would have plugged into the controller. I've tried using a standard twisted floppy cable to not have to use 2 cables, but it didn't recoginize the tape drive. Don't know if this helps.

Also, I should add that Win95 or 98 may not detect a tape drive until you install the software for it. It is a possibility that you might find an older copy of Colorado backup at some shareware sites.

I use floppy's mostly, and don't save much anymore, just word processing files and such.

Don't want to suggest anything too obvious but I installed a tape drive and my floppy also quit working. I discovered I had accidentally plugged the drive in backwards at the motherboard. I actually had to install a new floppy to get it all straightened out. I learned an important lesson though: DOUBLE CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS!

Try to plug the tape drive ribbon in first then the 3.5. If you have any questions e-mail me

Thread Information