ARGH! MASTER BOOT RECORD FAILURE! HELP PLEASE!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ARGH! MASTER BOOT RECORD FAILURE! HELP PLEASE!

ARGH! MASTER BOOT RECORD FAILURE! HELP PLEASE!

Hi everyone. I have a problem. My hard drive is working fine, BUT, now whenever I right click on a folder/file, to rename it, or delete it, etc, my floppy disk drive goes nuts and asks for a disc to be put in my D:\ drive (CD-ROM drive!).

I ran my virus scanning software (all virus definitions up to date!), and it says that "Master Boot Record Error - Unable to read from the Master Boot Record.".

There's no virus on my computer according to my virus scanner, so I am wondering what the problem is. Scan Disk can't find any problems either, and games, etc, work fine and the hard drive speed is as fast as normal. I haven't "played around" with any files either. One thing though -

Please help, this floppy disk drive noise whenever I click on a file is driving me mad. It's a new hard drive so I doubt it's faulty.

Hmmm, I have Windows ME, and I just checked, and some of my "active desktop" icons/screens have changed to Windows 98 images. I am assuming it's not a hardware problem, but possibly driver/windows file problem. I do NOT want to have to re-install Windows ME if possible...

Thank you!

------------------
    An apple a day, keeps the doctor away.

[This message has been edited by Muzzel (edited 04-04-2002).]

Try running System Restore and select the date that your PC was still running fine.

If the restore still gives you the same problem then a reinstall might solve the problem.
    Could it be a trojan??

Thanks for your advice! I've tried re-installing Windows, I have tried using Trojan Killer which detects something like 2500 trojans (definitions from 3 April 2002!), I have tried using TWO virus scanners, each with up to date definitions.

I have re-installed Windows, I have used System Restore, I have restored a backup of my old registry. The weird thing is, once a floppy disk and CD-ROM are in my drives, it works PERFECT (still accesses the A drive every second but it doesn't keep asking for D:\ and A:\ discs!).

Any ideas - I do not want to format if I don't have to.

------------------

1st- boot using safe mode
    See if you still experience the same issues...if you do not, go into msconfig and check out what you are loading up...Go to zdnet.com/downloads and download sandra 2002
    and look at the "processes" see if you notice anything that does not fit.. yuo can also attempt to repair the mbr by booting to DOS and typing FDISK/MBR

try that first...I am tired...blah

------------------
    SOYO P4S RAID
    P4 1.8@2.53 141X18
    512MB DDR-2700
    4 80GB ATA-133
    ATI RADEON 7500
    CREATIVE SB AUDIGY MP3
    HAUPPAUGE TV/FM
    SONY 24X CD-RW
    SONY 16X DVD
    VIEWSONIC PF-790 19"