CD Burner Output Garbled
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CD Burner Output Garbled

CD Burner Output Garbled

Installed new TDK 32/24/10 Burner; works just fine. However, the CD's I burn will not play well in my car CD (2001 Jeep). The burned CD's play just fine on home Sony CD Player; Car CD player works just fine with store-bought CD's. Problems are (intermittenly): Spits CD back out when inserted (or) can't seem to find the track to play (or) plays a few tracks and then can't seem to exit the last track played to go to the next track (or) quality of playback is very poor, garbled, skips (or)plays early tracks (up to about #20 or so) and then hangs up on later tracks. When it can't find track, there is a lot of humming & whirring from the CD, like it's trying to find something to play.
    Any ideas or help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Some car CD Player are very picky on the type of CDR that you used to burn the audio CD. What type of CDR that you used for burning? I suggest a CDR that has the silver reflective coating as the best CDR that can be played on any CD player.

Sorry folks... I'm sitting here at work posting my original message and I wrote down the wrong Burner Unit details by mistake; What I really have is a: TDK VeloCD 24/10/40 (I don't know if that makes a difference in anyone trying to help me out here).

Also, Thanks Berserker; I use:
    PNY Precision Gold 700MB 24x CD-R Discs
    Up to 24x recording speed; 700MB storage capacity/80-minute recording time; acrylate scratch protection;(I went out and copied this description from Best Buy's sales page. I'm pretty sure they have a silver back where the recording surface is.

Does this help?
    Thanks!

[I seem to almost be having this discussion with myself, but, I just had another thought...]

I suddenly wonder now about a different aspect of this...

When I burned my first two cd's, I still had all the cuts I had loaded onto my HD in Wav format and that's the base from which I
    burned those two early cd's. It was after that I learned how much space converting the wav's to MP3's would save on my HD so I
    converted everything. Well, the first two burned cd's played fine in my car (now that I think of it) and it's only the ones burned after the conversion that I'm experiencing problems with. I'd hate to reconvert the MP3's back to Wav's just to burn cds that would work in the car, but maybe that's the issue. What do you think??

If I didn't read it wrong, you're converting all of the wav to MP3 and then burn the MP3's to the CD. Does your car player can support MP3 format as well? I think you have to reconvert all of them back to wav and then burn them directly on the CD to create an Audio CD. There are some programs that can burn MP3 by converting it into wav fiels before burning it on the CDR. You can try Nero for that matter.

Berserker,
    Thanks again. I hope I don't jinx myself by saying this, but I may have resolved the problem...
    Last night I went home and converted 24 of the cuts (that were on one of the cd's I was having problems with) back from MP3 to Wav and then burned a new cd. This morning, on the way to work, while I only got to listen to 5 of the cuts on the new cd, they all played just fine in my car.

So, it looks like my solution is to convert the mp3 cuts back to wav cuts and then burn new cd's to use in my car.

Some of the things you wrote to me helped put me on to this experiment; Thanks again for the help.

While I have you on the line, there's a side issue I'd like your input on...

I've only used this Hardware Central (HC) site twice so far and I'm not real pleased with the results. The first time I had a lot of trouble with a brand new HD I installed in my PC and it did not format correctly (even though I followed the directions to the letter). When I wrote to HC, I got about 4 replies as I remember and everyone of them told me to do something different and none of those solutions worked. Finally, I got ahold of Dell (my PC is a Dell but the HD was a Maxtor) and they gave me exact, workable directions even though it wasn't really their problem (the Maxtor techies had been no help at all which is what led me to search out and find HC).
    Now, on this issue of burning cd's, you were the only person who took any time at all to try to advise me; I would have thought there would have been plenty of folks out there who would respond given the proliferation of folks burning cd's with music cuts.

Am I asking my questions wrong do you think? Or am I not clear in my dilemmas perhaps? I liked and appreciate the help you gave me, but I'm interested in why my two requests elicited "bad" advice the first time and almost no advice the second time. The next time I have an issue, I'd like to relay it in some way where I get better and more help, perhaps. Or, maybe this is the best there is at this level.

What do you think?
    Thanks again! I appreciate your advice.

I cannot speak to your question - I personally did not reply to you as I have no knowledge of the 3 subjects you've brought up at HWC. However, I have found your hard drive thread and have posted it here so that all can see what you are speaking about and those who gave the "bad advice" can defend themselves if they so desire.
    http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/012845.html

L. Summerton,
    Thanks for the input; I went to the link you provided to see what was there (it brought back old memories!) and here's my more detailed input as to what was "less than desireable" about those help statements from people:

1. sbcanada wrote: "You should update your motherboard BIOS if there is an update available from the manufacturer's website. Some motherboards have trouble with large drives." [My reply: This told me nothing of value (Update to what and how??) When I contacted Dell and told them of this suggestion, they taught me how to look at my BIOS and we analyzed together that I needed no updating; that's help]

"You should run "fdisk" from a Windows boot disk to create partitions for your hard drive. You should be able to allocate the full 40GB to one or more partitions." [My Reply: I tried this and since the 40 gig HD was only functioning at 5+ gigs, it couldn't make a partition bigger than it thought it was. This is like having a 5-gallon bucket with a big hole in it at the 1-gallon level; no matter how hard you try, you're never going to get it to hold more than it will allow]

2. shinma wrote: "You're Dell system likely came with a recovery CD and not a full Windows98 CD. If possible, try installation using a full Windows98/98SE CD." [My Reply: I checked into this; I had a full Win98 Install CD from Microsoft, not a Dell CD; I even brought it to work and our IT people agreed it was a full Install CD; all the Dell software and "stuff" was on other cd's. So, had I taken this advice and went out and paid for a Win98 setup, I would have wasted my money]

3. rev1 wrote: "After you have flashed the bios, check with dell, boot on the floppy. Format with the win98, a dos format did not work for me. Use your Maxblast, download a new one, to partition." [My Reply: Having no knowledge of what it means to "flash the BIOS", I asked our IT people how to do this, then I followed these directions and ended up in the exact same lace (after hours and hours of work)]

4. stmah Wrote: "may i suggest the following:
    1. start computer and set you bios to 'auto detect' hdd type.
    2. restart and boot from your maxblast diskette
    3. use the maxblast tool to 'write zeros' to your hdd. this basically reformats your hdd and also the boot sector. (your boot sector is pretty much screwed from your multiple formating with maxblast/dos/windows/etc.)
    4. install, setup, partition and format the hdd using the maxblast tool. you may need a win98 boot disk ready. if you don't have one, download the win98 version from http://www.bootdisk.com
    5. restart computer and install win98 (setup.exe)
    [My Reply: I did all these steps, including going to bootdisk.com (the win98 disk I made from their site wasn't even recognizable by the PC when I went to use it, so I used the win98 cd I already had and it worked fine) and ended up with a 5.77 gig HD all over again (again, after lots and lots of work)

[My final analysis of what worked: As I mentioned, I contacted Dell and talked to them about some of this and then they sent me detailed line-by-line specific instructions of how to reformat the HD. I followed their instructions to the letter and when I was all done, I had a 39.8 GB harddrive. I used my win98 disk that I had all along and set everything up "perfectly" and I have had a fine, functioning PC ever since.

Thanks for putting this together for me/us and allowing me the opportunity to address what worked and didn't work.
    Thanks again.

Thanks for the comment and input about your experiences in HWC WJR.

Glad I could have helped in some way possible.

Some members are trying to help by suggesting the solutions acording to their experiences and it would be helpful to let them know how you've solve your problem.
    Helping by not seeing the real PC is a long shot for some people but it will give us the general idea of what to do in such cases.

Thread Information