SCSI HD recommendations
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SCSI HD recommendations

SCSI HD recommendations

Hi all, I plan on picking up a new U160 hard drive for use on a Adaptec 29160 controller. Does anyone have any thoughts/preferences on either the IBM ultrastar or Seagate Cheeta drives. Reliability, noise etc..
    These are the 18 GB 10K RPM variety.

Thanks

Seagate is the one to look for if you're after SCSI.

Can't provide any details beyond that because I've personally never used SCSI, but Seagate SCSI drives have always been very highly spoken of.

Toolbox is a big fan of the Seagate drives. Their reputation is pretty good when it comes to SCSI drives.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If you can afford it get an Seagate Cheetah X15. It's performance is incredible.
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

I've own three Seagate drives, two of which are SCSI. Personally, I highly recommend them. I just bought an 18GB Seagate Cheetah X15 from HyperMicrosystems (www.hypermicro.com/store/index.htm) at a very good price. In the 18GB 15,000 rpm variety, Seagate makes two. I got the ST318452LW which has an 8MB buffer...nice!
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 570 HD 2560MB
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD
    Corsair HX 620W
    Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1

Everyone here has already told you everything you need to know... the Seagate Cheetah's are the best drives to get!

I think you should get them too.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Justintime Guest
    yup my current SCSI is a Seagate Cheetah, which i've had for ages, love it, gonna get a 15k one soon as well

------------------
    Jr

BINK'S HWC MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY

if you dont want to spend that much, you can get the atlas 10K III. fastest 10k drive out there (at least it was...). easy to find and "cheap" at less that $200 at most places on line, and once in a while even fry's electronics.

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Been using the Seagate X15 drive for over a year now. Reliable, surprisngly quiet for 15k rpm, and... well, FAST!

Oh, and did I say that it's FAST?
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

I can only reiterate the previous post in saying the X15 is the king of HDD-land, it's not nearly as loud or hot as you'd expect a 15,000RPM drive to be, but it's the fastest thing on bearings! I would actually go for the 36GB version now, since it's a much lower $/gb, but that might be out of your price range.
    T-Bird 1330@1520 (9.5x160) PAL8045 w/46CFM Delta Shuttle AK31 Rev3.1 384MB Crucial PC2100
    Lian-Li PC60 w/Enermax 350W Seagate Cheetah X15
    Gainward GeForce3 Game Theater XP Syncmaster 900NF

Thread Information