CD RW Drive Questions...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CD RW Drive Questions...

CD RW Drive Questions...

I'm completely blank on this... never have had any experience with a CD RW drive.

Is there any great advantage to leave the CD ROM installed and use it along with the CD RW? Can you copy CD's (data and music) directly from CD ROM to CD RW? My friends say just to copy to the hard drive using the CD RW and then back to the CD RW omitting the CD ROM from the system completely. Something about reading and writing with the same drive for better copying or fewer errors.

Oh yeah, I'm looking at an Acer CD RW with 24x14x10 or something like that. Any opinions on Acer drives? My Acer scanner seems to work OK.

Thanks,
    Pico

Not to keen on Acer products myself. Acer produce budget components and their products tend to reflect that. I primarily use Ricoh CD-RW's, although many of the members here of late will favour the Lite-On CD-RW's.

If you already have a CD-ROM unit, there's no harm in keeping it installed. It will let you do a number of things, you couldn't do without it. Such as copying some software from one CD, whilst listening to an audio CD at the same time. Or doing CD to CD copies on the fly, or simply for the sake of putting less ware'n'tare on your CD-RW.

CD to CD copies do have a higher chance of failing, but so long as you've set it up correctly, and your CD-ROM is capable of delivering an uninterrupted, continuous stream of data to the CD-RW (which can be tested in your writing software) you should have no trouble what so ever.

------------------
    Check out the HWC Members Gallery!!
    hwcmembersgallery.cjb.net

Submit your photos to
    submit@hwcmembersgallery.cjb.net

I would probably steer away from the acer too (I have heard horror stories) Other good brands are Plextor, LG, Liteon, etc...

------------------
    Duron 900@1100
    512mb PC133 RAM Micron
    Geforce 2 Ti 275/425
    40Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 7200rpm
    `\O/
    /////////////////////
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    _/ \_
    CPU: Athlon X2 7850 Blackbox edition o/c'd to 3400mhz
    Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM SE2
    Memory: 4gb Kingston KVR RAM
    Video: BFG Geforce gtx 260 oc v2
    Hard Drives: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB WD, 320GB WD, 320GB WD 250GB WD, 250GB Seagate
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel case
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply
    Optical: 22x LG DVD R/W

i would say keep the cdrom drive, even if you don't plan to copy onthe fly [cd to cd].
    you will be using the motors, lasers and other bits of the cdrw for bog standard stuff and could wear it out quicker.

------------------
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

Thanks a lot guys. I will definitely keep my CD Rom connected and use the CDRW as a slave. And I will stay away from Acer drives big time.

Regards,
    Pico

Just a few hints for you, when you buy your CDRW, buy one that supports raw data. In time you will happy you spent the little extra

The upside to having a cdrom is that 1. it works up to 52X and 2. CDRW lasers only have a limited life before they need replacing.

A good cd rom and sound card can give you digital MP3 quality also

------------------
    "Oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?
    "Oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Thread Information