Hooking up a Sony Digital Camera to PC?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hooking up a Sony Digital Camera to PC?

Hooking up a Sony Digital Camera to PC?

A while ago I hooked up a friend's Sony digital camera to my PC with a USB cable. Don't remember how I did it but it was very easy. The USB port detected it, etc.,etc. I remember that he had no driver disks. Now that my friend is 800 miles away and plugging his camera into the PC I built for him. He can't get it to install and I can't remember how we did it on my PC. And trying to do this over the phone without the desktop right in front of you is for the birds. When it installs, the camera simply appears as another drive.

Anyone know what I need to do to get this digital camera installed?

------------------
    Re-elect Gore-Lieberman!

get a DV card...

------------------
    Duron 750@900Mhz
    http://www.ocgurus.com/listings/quer...sp?PuterID=206
    Dual Celeron 366@550Mhz
    http://www.ocgurus.com/listings/quer...sp?PuterID=204
    P2 350Mhz,192MB(DELL)
    P-100Mhz,48MB(COMPAQ)
    P-90Mhz,40MB(COMMODORE)
    486Dx2/66Mhz,36MB(COMPAQ)
    ftp1. Antec PLUSVIEW1000AMG, Abit AT7 v1.1, XP 1800@2300 0,13u, 512MB TwinMOS PC-2700 cl2
    ftp2. Antec PLUSVIEW1000AMG, Abit AT7 v1.2, XP 1800@2300 0,13u, 512MB TwinMOS PC-2700 cl2
    backup. Chieftec Fulltower, Abit KT7A-R v1.3 XP-M 2000+ 3x256MB TwinMOS PC-166
    Workstation. (Not yet ready)

Hi Chiles4,

A few weeks ago I installed a Sony digital camera for a photographer at work. I can't remember what the model number was, but it was the Sony camera with nearly more lense than body (Does this make any sense??).

Nothing had to be installed to retrieve photos from the camera. When I connected it I saw windows install some shuttletec drivers, after that a new drive was visible in "my computer". There we could copy, cut and paste the jpg's from the camera. Is it possible that your friend has another card reader or other sort of device using shuttletec drivers which might be confusing the usb ports? A card reader or something like that? Was the camera switched on when he tried to install it? Is there an "unknown device" in the system properties which might have to be removed in order to re-install the camera properly?

Hope this helps,

------------------
    Peace & Love,

Jas - The Dog- El_Jaso
    Peace & Love,

Jas - The Dog- El_Jaso

No, Jas, he doesn't have any other USB devices at all. I did install a firewire card for him but he's going to need some time to learn the video editing software that came with it. Yeah, the way you described it working was how it worked on my PC - pretty simple. When he tried to plug it in his PC, the Add New Hardware Wizard comes up. I don't think that came up on mine. I think you may have it on the head. Maybe he's hooking it up with the camera off. I'll work with him on that and see if it helps. I'm using a VIA KT266 chipset while he's got the SIS 735 - shouldn't really make a difference though. Thanks.

------------------
    Re-elect Gore-Lieberman!

Check out this Sony site for drivers and turorials.

------------------
    Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done.

Chiles4,

Which OS is he using?

------------------
    Peace & Love,

Jas - The Dog- El_Jaso
    Peace & Love,

Jas - The Dog- El_Jaso

We got it working. Downloaded Sony drivers and installed their USB drivers and then installed the camera drivers. I don't know how everything worked without drivers on my Epox 8KHA?!? But his ECS K7S5A needed them.

------------------
    Re-elect Gore-Lieberman!

If you already had a card reader on your computer, or a printer with a card slot (such as a photo printer with a slot to print without computer) it can explain why you could do it.

We bought a digital camera and the drivers for the sandisk compact flash reader allowed us to load the pictures directly from camera when we plugged it into the usb port.

After we installed the epson 785epx photo printer (which has a card slot), the software we installed with this printer opened up once we connected the camera.. The software will load and store the pictures from the card (inserted into the printer) to the harddisk.

So, it seems these other applicances are more than willing to load the pictures for you..

Your friend may not have had either on his system ??

Thread Information