Just picked up a 24xcdrw for $50.00 retail new in box. Good deal?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Just picked up a 24xcdrw for $50.00 retail new in box. Good deal?

Just picked up a 24xcdrw for $50.00 retail new in box. Good deal?

Sams club was having a sale...but i had to wait like 2 hours to get help with a screaming baby only to find out that they didnt have any of the 16x burners i had been waiting for. I complained to the manager...so he gave me a 24/10/40 cdrw for the price of the 16x/x/x burner...and then knocked another 20 bucks off of that price. So i walked out of there with the thing for 59.00 dollars.

1)Nothing special I dont think "pacific Digitial 'mach 24'"
    2)So far the included software looks reasonable.
    3)I cant find any damm 24x cds? All i can find are the 16x. Crap crap crap.

Too new for the discs to be out or what????

$59 for a 24X burner is a good deal. Pacific Digital doesnít make their own burners. I donít know who made it but the rebadgers usually use Lite-On, Sanyo, Ricoh, Phillips or Plextor. It should do a good job for you.

The 24X discs have been on the market for a while. They seem to be blowing off their 16X discs. There were some good prices this week and a good quality 16X might record at 24X for you. I have read posts by a lot of people doing that.

CompUSA has 100 Imation 16X 80 min CDRs with jewel cases for $10 after rebate and 50 16X 80 min TDKs for $5 after rebate. I would think either would burn at 24X. Most makers have left the speed off the ATIP so they can just relabel them at a higher speed if they test out OK on faster burners when they are released. I think today is the last day and they are probably out, but there will probably be more sales next week.

There are plenty good 24X discs available online, but with shipping they are running $1/disc unless you get a couple hundred or poor quality.

If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know

Its a Lite on. I tested it this morning..worked fine but it took 6 minutes for one cd? I didnt choose the "write to hard drive image" option and just spun it disk to disk..i think that slowed it down as the burner kept stopping and waiting for the files from the cd playing.

thanks for the info...im heading to comp usa this afternoon then!

Yeah, that's the problem with burners these days. They've gotten too fast and have become sloppy. Most likely, if the burner had to stop to wait for files, that was the Burn Proof kicking in. That would be my guess, I've never had a burner with Burn Proof. I'm still happy with my Yamaha 6x4x16 SCSI burner. It's coming up on 2 years old, and is starting to have trouble reading cheap CD-RWs. Other than that, I feed it a nice steady diet of Verbatim colored CD-Rs, and it never gives me any problems. I wouldn't want one of those new 24x burners just because most of them are from cheap brands. I even saw a post where someone said that the newer Plextor 24x burners weren't very good any more.

Here's my advice: Start saving your money because the DVD burners are here, and they're starting to become affordable. Plus, I know that the Pioneer one also does CD-R and CD-RW as well as DVDs. That will most likely be my next upgrade.

Matt

P.S. Yeah, you did get a good price for that burner. Just be careful though, it might have a flaw in it or something. There's usually a reason that they give them away so cheap.

I bought a Pacific Digitial floppy drive. I found it was a Sony when I opened the box.

I had a Pacific Digital 52x cd rom drive. I
    don't know who made it but it was junk. Was loud and caused computer to boot slow. It was hard to get tech support. Finally got a RMA to send it back. Sent me another one and did exact same thing as original. I took it out and will save for spare. Got a Prime Peripheral 50x for free after rebate and it is perfect. Ken

no problems with mine!!

Originally posted by s4:
    I bought a Pacific Digitial floppy drive. I found it was a Sony when I opened the box.
    Heh... One time, I picked up a 25 gig "Value Line" hard drive... I open it, it's a 30 gig WD Caviar. Good Deal for me!

------------------
    via Kt133a, AMD Duron 750,SDR 64 PC100 & 64 PC133,Jayton GeForce2MX-32, SB PCI128, 30GB WD300AB 5400 RPM, Netgear FA30TX running WinXP Pro (2600)
    via Kt133a, AMD Duron 750,SDR 64 PC100 & 64 PC133,Jayton GeForce2MX-32, SB PCI128, 30GB WD300AB 5400 RPM, Netgear FA30TX running WinXP Pro (2600)

Thread Information