CD-Writer problems - Page 3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CD-Writer problems

I had the same experience as Panemon-creel.
    I have a lot of Memorex coasters then I switched (I am having good luck with Kodak these days)
    ad

I had the same experience as Panemon-creel.
    I have a lot of Memorex coasters then I switched (I am having good luck with Kodak these days)
    ad

I experienced the same problem this week reinstalled win 98 se and now everything works fine now.

------------------
    The PC is only tool make great use of it

Current System:
    ABIT BH6
    128MB PC-100 Ram
    Celeron 400
    STB Velocity 4400 16MB AGP
    Sound Blaster Live Value
    ADAPTEC 2904CD SCSI CARD
    TEAC CD-R56S-600 6x24 CD Writer
    18.2gb Maxtor Diamond 36 UDMA 66 (running @udma33)
    EIDE LG Gold star 16xMax CD-ROM
    CTX VL950T 19" Monitor

MACHINE 1:
    ASUS P3V4X
    256MB PC-133
    PIII 700E
    GEFORCE SDR 32MB AGP
    SBLIVE VALUE
    NETGEAR FA311 NIC 10/100
    PLEXWRITER 12/10/32A
    30.7GB IBM DESKSTAR 75
    DXR3
    12X HITACHI GD-7500 DVD-ROM
    CTX PR960F 19" MONITOR

I experienced exactly the same problem with my HP 8210i when i first tried it. However after having run defrag, closed *all* programs, having tried the drive as master and slave on the secondary IDE-channel, having moved my other drives (Zip, CD-ROM) around and changed various settings in Windows 98, I finally got it working superbly by setting it as slave to the harddrive on the primary IDE-channel.

VERY unlikely that it is a hardware problem.
    Buffer under run. means basically that you aint supplying data to the writer quick enough. Im not familiar with the writer you have, but are you copying to hard drive first? this is always a good idea unless you have top notch reader/writer setup.
    A few things I suggest are:
    1. Copy to hard driver first
    2. Lower write speed
    3. Close ALL programs running in the background including screensavers
    4. get rid of adaptec, I have a plextor reader and a yamaha writer, and I can go disc to disc at 6x no problem with NTI cdmaker, anything over 2x with adaptec gives me a buffer underrun (although when I do it in "test" mode, it does it perfectly!
    5. Use quality CD's
    Hope the above helps, I bought a cheap IDE cd writer to back up my kids playstation games as he was forever damaging them, in the end I had to buy a decent one (yamaha) and a decent reader too (plextor), although most writers will read fine, just means you have to swap cd's. But at 30-40 for a playstation cd, the investment was worth it as he aint to careful with his cd's!!

This sig In memory of my kid sister, Mandy. Died 14-8-02 aged 30.
    Murdered for nothing at all by Louise Berry

CALV

I installed a program called Cacheman I haven't had a buffer underrun since. Also improved overall system performance. I use a HP 8100i on K6-2/400 Ax59pro 128Mb.
    PIII 933/133
    CUSL2-C
    256 MB PC133
    Vodoo3 3500TV AGP
    3Com 3509 Nic
    SBlive!
    HP 8100i Cd-RW
    50X Acer CD-ROM
    RAID 0
    2 X WD 20GB 7200rpm ATA/66
    Sony Trinitron 17"

I have a 9300i HP and 6 months after purchase it started giving me this error

T0100: I/O error (03/0C/00) - Write error
    T0100: I/O error (03/0C/00) - Write error
    T7127: TrackWriter error - Flush failed
    T7118: TrackWriter error - Command retry failed

I tried all of your sugestions and nothing seems to work.

I thought it might be a copywright protection of some sort.

I am running a Piii 600 with 256mb ram 20GB udma HD 32mb ATI 128 and burn CD's all the time, in fact it only does it with some cd's

any idea's will help..

------------------
    Ari Tenn
    AirQuest Telecom
    15253 Saticoy St., Unit A
    Van Nuys, CA 91405

Just for the record... everyone that's having problems (I am having similar ones)...

Exactly what brand / model of CDR media is everyone using? I just started using Memorex 650Mb/74min/1x-8x CDR blanks that are gold on top and blue-green on the bottom. I'd never had problems before I started using these, and now it doesn't matter what media I use.

Also, everone who's having problems every time they burn, and is using Win98, try right-clicking MY COMPUTER, PERFORMANCE, and disable virtual memory under VIRTUAL MEMORY, and also disable write-behind caching for all drives. Shut the computer down totally and give it 2 hours to totally cool off. When you reboot, hold down SHIFT as soon as the Win98 logo screen appears, and keep holding it down until the system boots, which disables startup programs. Make sure w/ CTRL-ALT-DELETE that you kill everything else except Explorer. Before the drive has a chance to warm, up try burning the exact same way that you did when you got a TrackWriter error.

I believe some errors may be caused by a combo of write-behind caching and thermal problems, but I would like others to try that, and also list their CDR media. If Memorex (or whoever makes the discs for them and others) is at fault, we could all get our money back on coasters.

Hi:

I just bought a HP 9310i CDR an installed the unit in a PIII motherboard running a celeron 466. The system has 94 M or Ram, and a 15 Gig HD with 12Gig free, running W98 second edition. It has a bunch of other things plugged to the machine. External Zip, Palmtop, scsi card for scanner, printer, network card.

When I tried to make the first CD (everything else closed) the checking process to write was interrupted by a window with the following message:

- Write error - buffer underrun occurred -

I could not tell if the message came from the HP software or the Windows environment.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Adolfo

Just so I can finally let this topic die... I called HP over and over until I got someone at their tech support that knew what they were doing. They walked me through a bunch of stuff (just to make SURE the problem was the CD Writer) and then decided that I had a defective unit. They shipped me a new unit free of charge.

When all else fails.....Talk to an actual human being in the support dept

Thanks for everyone's comments on this thread...moderators I would ask that you lock it ;P

Peace,
    Seth

------------------
    SethD - Seth Davis
    sethd@sethd.com
    http://www.sethd.com/
    SethD - Seth Davis
    sethd@sethd.com
    http://www.sethd.com/

I have an HP7100i and it has worked and not worked so many times in the past three years it is crazy.

I have read so much at so many places, if you are having buffer underruns, my take is that it is setup/software related. If other then likely h/w related, ie dirty.

The HP7100is is a Phillips, it is sold under many, many brands. My best advice is watch out for the HEAT. Keep the thing as cold as possible, above zero naturally. Lenses do get dirty and the lubricants inside do degrade and become sticky after time with use , dust and heat. CD quality can affect how many coasters you will make too. If you start making coasters all of a sudden, try swapping a couple of blank CD's with someone else, and try a different brand or two. Once you find one that works, stick to it.

Hitting the CD writer, as one person did, may jar dust or dirt loose and make it work again, but certainly not recommended. It is more likely it started working again cause it was outside of bay cooled down.

You can not believe how little tolerance these things have, if it' off a little, you are SOL.

I have tried absolutely everything except the DMA stuff, but did make a new W98 hw profile and disabled alllllll cards and s/w not needed or necessary in the burning. I even tried all comb. of primary and sec. bus, master and slave, no help.

I ran across a great page for cleaning and that is what I will do next. Now I have to find a friggin torx tool small enough, arghhhh, none of my knives work either.

By the way, HP were ignorant from the begining and I would have returned it week one had they been cooperative, but they denied service until the warranty was up of course. Adaptec software sucks, WINCDR was wonderful but now no worky either. Next one I buy will be a a cheapo, forget the HP name forever, better to spend $150 bucks and toss it out after a year or two than give HP $300 or $400 bucks and then spend a year troubleshooting their carp.

Here is the cleaning link http://members.easyspace.com/coreya/hp7200i/

Thread Information