CD-Writer problems - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD-Writer problems

I happened upon this discussion because I am having a similar problem and I am looking for help. My Philips External CDR-W is almost new but I can't say that I have ever completely successfully recorded an audio CD with it yet. I get that error that you (Seth) mentioned: Trackwriter error t7123. Wait failed. So far, I have only got the run-around from Philips, no real person to talk to...I too have tried everything. My computer is a Cyrix 166P with 32 Ram. It should be plenty to run this thing, and there is about 1GB free space on the hard drive. I have it connected through a parallel port "switch box." I did read somewhere that I'm not supposed to do that, but I figured if it connected and seemed to work, that it should be okay. I am going to try connecting directly to the computer, but if that doesn't work, then what?
    ---suelaine

I've similar problems and it's driving my crazy for last couple of months !!!

------------------
    Andre Dijkhuizen

I have a Philips 3610 and it worked fine until recently. Then I went over to W98 and it started malfunctioning. I will not tell you all the things I've tried. But ... I went back to W95 (failed), I've tried WinOnCD (failed), tried different kind of CD-R, installed firmware again, used my 2nd hd exclusively for images etc.

My hardware is Gateway 2000 Pentium 133 (overclocked from 120 MHZ)
    Aopen 32x
    Philips 3610
    Hardisk 1.6 G
    2nd hd seagate 850 MB

The status now is that it always works fine when try to write to CD-RW (even if I've programs running in the background (working with WORD etc.. Copying from CD-ROM to CD burner is no problem, copying from image to CD-RW is no problem etc. It only failes when I try to write to a CD-R. Then it stops after 4-5 tracks and hangs up the system. When I do the system test with Easy Creator PRo it failes and gives the error "T7123: TrackWriter error - Wait failed"

By the way I've similar problems with my HP7100 (intern model) and Dell computer (Windows NT) at work. Although I haven't spent that much time trying to fix this problem, it looks very similar to problem I've at home

Is it a thermal problem ?? Does a CD burner burn differently to a CD-RW then to a CD-R ??

Please can anybody help me. This is all is very frustrating !!

I can't give any advice other than the advice that has alredy been posted. But if anyone is frustrated to the point of buying a new one, here's some free advice. Don't comprimise Quality for price, I have the HP 8200i and it's the cat's ***..

Just thought I'd let you know. I have been researching cd-rw to purchase. I came across the following site:

http://www.honiton5.freeserve.co.uk/

It lists numerous drive failures for the HP 7200 and also a Phillips 3610 I believe. I know absolutely nothing about cd-rw's. I am just looking to get into it, but all these reviews were kind of amazing. It was almost always the same story: ran fine for about 6 months, then gradually refused to burn cd's until it stopped completely. Check it out!

Hi!
    Very interesting - I have an Acer internal CDRW doing just the same as Your writer. I have also tried *everything* without success. I know for a fact that these things can be a hardware error, often. But it almost everytime shows up just after You have bought/installed it. BUT my writer started having problems after one year.
    I got the reply that it can be that it has been to hot for a long time.
    And this concludes my theories because I had problems first - then I placed it on a cooler place in the computer - and it wrote just fine... for a while. But now it has given up totally.
    This time I think I'll buy another brand. Maybe something more heat persistent. Any suggestions on brand?

Kind regards
    Markus

I know it sounds simple and maybe you tried it, but use different CD-R media and see what happens. I used to use Maxell media and it was working fine. Now It doesn't work with one anymore and have to use Traxdata media.
    Possibly product quality changed and my Plextor writer can be very picky with the media.
    Also try Burner software like "Nero Burn" or Golden Hawk Technology's "CDR-WIN". Adaptec's Easy CD software was most of the time "coasterware" for me. (Now using CeQuadrats WinOnCD)

I have a HP7200i, which worked fine for just over a year (alas) - then refused to add a
    2nd session onto any cdr.Using Joliet, which is what I need writing programs for win32. At the same time, using the Easy CD Creator which came with it - it tells me to wait 45-90 minutes while it formats a RW - then it formats all day & all night until I stop it & ruin my CD-RW disk. The change came when I went onto a different motherboard, though it makes no diference whether I use the board with VIA or speedpro drivers. Back on my old 66mhz m/b - everything's fine (apart from the RW). I've tried firmware updates,re-installing everything, taken out DMA,
    UDMA just in case - nothing seems to make a difference. I don't get buffer underruns - never had an audio problem (haven't tried multi-session audio yet though) - it just messes up my RW disks. Weird thing is - the first session is always fine - then I get "unknown file format" - ... hope this provides some sort of clue to someone - anyopne else has this ?? I'm dumping the damn thing and getting a SCSI Yam - I'll save the extra in ruined disks inside 6 months...

I have a HP7200i, which worked fine for just over a year (alas) - then refused to add a
    2nd session onto any cdr.Using Joliet, which is what I need writing programs for win32. At the same time, using the Easy CD Creator which came with it - it tells me to wait 45-90 minutes while it formats a RW - then it formats all day & all night until I stop it & ruin my CD-RW disk. The change came when I went onto a different motherboard, though it makes no diference whether I use the board with VIA or speedpro drivers. Back on my old 66mhz m/b - everything's fine (apart from the RW). I've tried firmware updates,re-installing everything, taken out DMA,
    UDMA just in case - nothing seems to make a difference. I don't get buffer underruns - never had an audio problem (haven't tried multi-session audio yet though) - it just messes up my RW disks. Weird thing is - the first session is always fine - then I get "unknown file format" - ... hope this provides some sort of clue to someone - has anyone else has this ?? I'm dumping the damn thing and getting a SCSI Yam - I'll save the extra in ruined disks inside 6 months...

You mentioned that the drive stops writing at track 3. If you have tried all the recommendations from the other posts and it still gives you an error, then I suspect that the problem is with the drive. It sounds to me that the lens assembly has a problem. It seems like the lens assembly is moving to track 3 and then stopping because of the component that makes it move. I suggest contacting HP to get their opinion.

Good Luck
    "Money does grow on trees, but the banks own all the branches."

Phenom 9550 Quad Core
    8GB Kingston HyperX
    ASUS M3A78
    LG GH22NS30
    Seagate 320GB (boot)
    WDC RE3 500GB x2 on Highpoint RocketRAID 3120 with RAID1
    Sapphire 4830
    Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G
    CoolerMaster RC-690

I had similar problem with my Ricoh CDRW once.It stopped writting after 2-3 tracks and later on showed message drve E is not accessible.
    I went trough all possible troubleshooting and nothing worked.
    Then on Unofficial Ricoh page I found story about guy who disassemble his drive looking for related problem. He said drive is loaded with a lot of silicon grease which may distruct moving parts inside expecially small plate which tight up disks in the middle to laser head .
    Laser write from the middle toward the edge of the disk and increasing angle of improper positioned disk gives the errors.
    I didn't want to do any repair by myself so pulled the drive from my computer and was ready to send it back to manufacturer.
    Then I realize it may take weeks to get replacement and felt angry with damn' drive.
    You won't belive me what I did next.
    I slapped drive few times on each side with little hope it'll do anything good for it.
    Having computer case still open I conected it to cables barely keeping it in horizontal position.
    I power on machine and was stunt when I see damn' thing working!!!
    I don't recomend to do such shock terapy to anybody.
    I was desperate so I did.
    The point is laser driven devices are very sensitive for dirt,heat or any misalignment so they soon or a later will be the source of trouble and if you lucky to be covered by warranty don't wait and use it.

[This message has been edited by AK (edited 10-07-99).]

I have a Yamaha 4416S and I just had the same Track I/O error like all of you. After writing several tracks, it stopped all the way giving me a T0100 - I/O error and Track 71xx - Track Writer error.
    This problem only appearred when I tried to copy disc to disc from my cdrom to my cdwriter (DAO, on the fly). I didn't have any problem with DirectCD, TAO, or even DAO using my harddrive as intermediary. It happened only when I tried DAO on the fly recording.

I figured out what I have changed in the last couple of weeks. Yup....the DMA for my Creative 48X CDROM.
    I turned off the DMA checkbox for my CDRom in Device Manager. The problem dissappeared.
    A couple of my friends also had this T0100 error, and all were caused by UDMA enabled or PCI-bus overclocking, which somehow cause a read-failure by your cdwriter or cdrom. It seems that DMA mode often gives unpredictable/funny problems most of the time. I suggest you try to disable UDMA for all your device and see if thing solves out.

This tract failure are usually caused by several things, so you may need to check them out:
    1. UDMA enabled.
    2. Laser calibration. This can happen over a period of time. I don't know the solution, because it is hardware related. Usually manufacturer will suggest you to return the drive for repair.
    3. Dirty CD or laserhead
    4. CPU Overclocking aka PCI-bus overclocking (PCI-bus speed too high) which gives troubles to PCI-devices, especially SCSI during reading and writing.

So, figure out yourself which one might be applicable to your case.
    Hope it helps.

hi there,

it may be a disk quality problem. there is a program you can download off www.cdmediaworld.com that will tell you who the manufacturer is. I think they have a download page where you can download all sorts of things. It turns out that there are very few manufacturers, and many resellers, so you really need to know who made your disk. Also the resellers will often switch manufacturers they buy from, so it can be very confusing. Most cdr/rw drives can read the information off the disks, and the program interprets it. The site also has recommendations for good manufacturers.

Also to Phil_K, I had the same problem with cdrw formatting (though I have a ricoh drive.) I found that the disks I was using were just low quality (watch out for Sirius disks). On the label, it said they were 4X cdrw disks, but would not format correctly (it would end up ruining my disks). I found that they could be formatted at 2X, though, so the ones I didn't ruin were not a total loss.

Did you try cleaning the recorder? A friend
    of mine had a similar problem, cleaned the
    lense, works fine now.

Adaptec is the problem; their software drivers are antiquated and written by amateurs. They no more know how the BIOS, CMOS, and hardware work than do high school dropouts (and that ain't sayin much!)

The profit motive is the reason. Recently Adaptec was acquired by Robert Guillemot; a Frenchie outfit interested in acquisition and monopoly of the hardware abstraction layer. Adaptec has been in that realm for years, and is pretty much the leader (boy, now that is really sad, the amateurs lead the field, sort of like the blind leading the deaf).

In any case, either you have changed something since your cd-r last wrote, or Adaptec has changed something without your knowledge and to the best of their cookies and robots' abilities, or, the electrical resistance on the timing circuitry of your cd-r has 'burned-in' and thus increased or decreased slightly in value, thus changing the rpm speed of your drive and hence the timing of the 'one-shot' write method of the write buffer. In other words, it's technically way over most admin's heads as basically they don't have a degree in Electrical Engineering, so, they are not equipped to analyze the problem.

The resistance change over a burn-in period is a well know fact, not phenomena, but fact. Given any circuitry's resistance, the continued application of an electrical current, no matter how small, in affecting the electron density of the material, causes a change in the electrical resistivity of that material in proportion to the current applied, usually in a negative manner. This means that using the device causes the resistance to drop and the device to draw more current up to a point.

And because a bias feedback control is used to adjust the speed of the motor for the disk, any micro or pico change in bias current (amperage) effects exponential changes in the output of the control. That's basically the entire idea of transistor theory, in a nutshell, and there is hardly a way around it without more elaborate and/or better controls, which, Intel and the others are totally unwilling to supply. They would rather hire high school grads and dropouts at about one tenth the salary of a real engineer, too, just like Microsoft and the other "Computer Industry junkies and leaches."

Too bad, the Europeans and Western Europeans have been armed by the likes of Intel, Microsoft, and Hewlitt Packard to put them out of business just like the transistor radio industry.

Advice: Buy CD-R's, not CD-W's (CD-W's are nothing but hype...DVD encoding, transitory at best). Get a CD-R that's guaranteed to work with software that works and that Adaptec is not going to try to extort another $100.00 from you to make their crap work! Finally, get an education, a real one, at a real university; not some basic book that doesn't even qualify for a single credit hour. Get real; take the rose-colored glasses spread by hackers off and get educated, dummy.

Thread Information