LiteOn DVD - regions???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: LiteOn DVD - regions???

LiteOn DVD - regions???

Hi,

I just recently bougth a 16x LiteOn DVD model LTD163, and tried to watch "The Mummy" which is encoded for Region 4 (PAL).

I was greeted with the blue screen of "Windows General Protection Fault" and I am now aware that I have to patch my drive.

I have no idea on how to do this, can someone please help me out. Do I have to patch it for every movie or how long does it last? Does anyone know where I can find out what vids my drive will read?

Many thanks,

Carlo.

------------------
    AMD 1GHz
    Abit KT7A-Raid
    WD 30GB 7200RPM ATA100
    16x LiteOn DVD
    Ricoh MP7163A
    Imoega ZIP100
    TNT2 32MB Vid
    Aopen AW744Pro Audio
    17" Flat Mag-Innovision

Your DVD should already be region encoded for OZ (region 4), but it may have slipped past or maybe you bought it OS.

If you have Power DVD, right click on the screen and go to "configuration" then "information". That will tell which region it's set for.
    If it's not 4 then try the Liteon site to get a region changer. You only need to change it once and in any event the player will only let you change it a limited number of times.
    There is a way around region coding. If you rip the DVD to HD with something like CladDVD(provided you have enough space) and play it from there, region coding has no effect.
    Cheers...
    I'd rather be GLIDING

I know region 4 is Latin America and Australia, but all the DVD titles i've seen are NTSC, is there something like region 4.1 (latam=NTSC) and region 4.2 (oz=PAL)????

------------------
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?

[This message has been edited by Luis G (edited 11-20-2001).]
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Region coding has nothing to do wih transmission format. The 3 systems in use are PAL (and derivatives) NTSC and SECAM.

So you can quite legitimately buy a region 4 disk in any of the formats. The big benefit is that most DVDROM players will play all formats and your PC doesn't care. But it's wise to stick to your own local system even though the best is PAL.

Cheers...

[This message has been edited by daylef (edited 11-21-2001).]
    I'd rather be GLIDING

Thread Information