Hard Drive Not Detected
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hard Drive Not Detected

Hard Drive Not Detected

I just bought parts to build a new system and for some reason the hard drive won't show up on the IDE Detection. The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 20.0 Gig ATA100, Model# ST320011A. The motherboard I'm using now is an Epox EP-8KTA2 I believe, based on the VIA KT133 chipset. Now, at first I thought it might be a jumper issue, but I've tried all the settings I could. I even tried plugging it into my main system as a slave and it didn't show up there either. Then I tried attaching it to the secondary IDE cable, and that failed as well. During the IDE Detection process the computer hangs for about 20-30 seconds before coming back with NONE. I also know it's getting power, you can hear it spin and feel it vibrating, so I don't think that's the issue. I haven't had too much experience with these sorts of things, and I can't seem to find any helpful information on the Seagate web page. If anyone can give me some ideas I'd really appreciate it.. this is driving me crazy!!! Thank you.
    My System:
    AMD T-Bird 1GIG
    MSI K7T Pro2-A (MS-6330)
    512MB PC133 RAM
    40GIG Western Digital 7200
    ATI Radeon 8500 64DDR
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Windows 98SE

is your other drive a wst dig? if so there might be jumper set-up issues for master [with slave] and master [without slave].

other than that - have you tried it on the other ide channels?

other than that i would be inclined to see if you can rma it and get a new one that works as designed

------------------
    1-0 to the tractor boys, 1-0
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

Actually yes, the other drive is a Western Digital, but I'm not trying to put them together at the moment. In the new system I have the Seagate HD all by itself and it still won't work. The jumper issue might be why it didn't work as a secondary on my main computer though. But the Seagate isn't detected when I try to set it as a Master drive. I'll try again with the Western Digital jumpers.. I'll set the Wes Dig drive as the master and the Seagate as slave and see what happens, then I'll reverse it and see what happens.

Someone else also mentioned something about IDE channels. I have no idea what that means though, is it something in the BIOS? I'm willing to try anything at this point.

[This message has been edited by angryferret (edited 09-29-2001).]
    My System:
    AMD T-Bird 1GIG
    MSI K7T Pro2-A (MS-6330)
    512MB PC133 RAM
    40GIG Western Digital 7200
    ATI Radeon 8500 64DDR
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Windows 98SE

does your mb have ata100 onboard? and if so are you plugging the drive on its channels? if so, you are gonna want to go thru the bios and make sure that it is set up correctly. just turn all the channels on to auto and make sure the ata100 is loading( if using it), then the drive should show up- and make sure that you have loaded the drivers for it.

Are you using ATA 66/100 cable?
    Have you double checked the Limit Drive Capacity jumper?
    Double check the connection in the use of the ATA 66/100 cable. ie. Blue end to the mobo?
    Installation manual can be downloaded via this LINK.

------------------
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Originally posted by angryferret:
    ...Someone else also mentioned something about IDE channels. I have no idea what that means though, is it something in the BIOS? I'm willing to try anything at this point...
    Refer to page 4-12 of your EP-8KTA2 manual, provided that is your mobo.
    If you do not have a EP-8KTA2 manual, you can download it via the following link, click HERE.

------------------
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

This is a long shot-guess-- but I recently bought a new Western Digital Hard Drive, and had the same problem. I could not auto-detect the HD in bios settings, regardless of whether the drive was jumpered to master or slave.

Finally, I discovered that the drive had to be jumpered half-on slave, and half-on master to signify that it was the only HD on the ATA-66 IDE channel. This "Single drive" jumpering was outlined in the western digital manual. It might be different for the Seagate, but check the manual for jumper settings again.

If you get that Baracuda working, please let us know how much noise it puts out. Supposedly the Baracuda is an extra-quiet drive.

-Sean

This may/not help. I "ran" across info on a website about problems similar to yours regarding OS 8.5.1. I too was trying to run two drives in my PM7600 & was getting drive recognition problems at startup. Downloaded OS 8.6 and since have had few to no problems. Good luck.

Thread Information