Mice on ice
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Mice on ice

Mice on ice

Hullo--
    I've searched the posts of the last 20 days and haven't seen this exact question so even though I'm sure it's been asked before, at least you haven't had to answer it recently. It's a frozen mouse issue.
    Without warning the mouse cursor will freeze but the "function" remains active. I can move the mouse on the pad and see it react with spots on the screen--invisably, however. I can click on items and they will respond occasionally. The only out is to shut down.
    Like many others, the big chill seems to happen with more frequency when I'm on-line. But it has also frustrated me when I'm working with effect-intensive graphic's programs. And that's what has me wondering if the problem could be related to my video/monitor set up.
    The mouse is an Intellipoint, wheel, reasonably new. I did upgrade the drivers but that seemed to make things worse so I uninstalled them and went back to the generics. It has been cleaned recently and I have reseated the connection in the back when the system was off. No noticeable improvement. Any suggestions? Life can't go on like this much longer!
    Thanks all--Jetty

Dimension T800r, P3, 800/100, 30g/256k, Yamaha CRW4416E CD-ROM drive, Iomega Zip 100 (internal), NVIDIA TNT2 M64/Dell M780 monitor, TBS Montego II PCI Audio/Platform, USR 56K fax win int, et al.

------------------
    "I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Th. Edison

Just a suggestion, have you got the latest Video Card drivers for your card? I have a feeling it may be something to do with the graphics card if it's not the mouse.

Try them at www.nvidia.com

------------------
    AMD Athlon 1.2@1.44 (272MHz FSB)
    Abit KT7a RAID
    DiamondMax Plus 60 - 40Gb 7200rpm
    Elsa GeForce2MX 32Mb SDR
    T3 internet
    ------------------
    JESUS IS COMING! everyone look busy
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Jeeze, one of the big guns helpin' me. Cool. I believe my mouse is already having second thoughts about acting up again...and I'm pleased that my hunch about a video or monitor issue with the problem has some possible merit. I am very new at maintaining and troubleshooting (and spanking if necessary) my new--new to me anyway--computer. That said, I'm off Nvidia land! I'll check back in in a couple of days and let you know if things have worked out, if you don't mind. And a major thank you for taking the time to help me. Jetty

------------------
    "I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Th. Edison

I also had that problem in with my mouse a long time ago. It was a known problem with my video card drivers. However, my video card is a Voodoo Banshee. I did get some new drivers, and the problem hasn't been back since.

Most likely the problem you are having is similar, since mouse drivers do little more than add functionality and configurability of extra buttons and wheels. Windows 98 and up should have no problem recognizing any mouse and give functionality of 2 buttons and 1 scroll wheel. My mouse has 4 buttons and 2 wheels (up/down and left/right) and it takes my drivers to utilize them all. But that's about all they do.

Matt

hehe, hope it works mate

------------------
    AMD Athlon 1.2@1.44 (272MHz FSB)
    Abit KT7a RAID
    DiamondMax Plus 60 - 40Gb 7200rpm
    Elsa GeForce2MX 32Mb SDR
    T3 internet
    ------------------
    JESUS IS COMING! everyone look busy
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Thread Information