need pinouts and other info for IBM SCSI-3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: need pinouts and other info for IBM SCSI-3

need pinouts and other info for IBM SCSI-3

Can't seem to terminate the darn thing to save my life.

Have the 68pin IBM HDD on a 3-position 50pin SCSI cable. The 1GB Jaz works in either position on the cable.

Have no idea how to jumper the thing. The SCSI utility merely tells me it doesn't see anything.

Does anybody have an IBM SCSI HDD with an FCC No. so I know which of these hard-to-see labels contains FCC ID info. Used to be able to find it right away.

The SCSI-3 has a sheer orange tape running around it; vibrations, it seems.

Anybody else know any other way to terminate a SCSI drive about which next to nothing is known?

Anybody have any other ideas? The pkg it came in (bare) says 2.0GB which seems right. Bought it as 1.5GB which is about 1.44GB formatted starting with a 2.0GB.

------------------
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -

I imagine that it might have a termination jumper but couldnt you just go buy an active terminator to put on the end of the cable? Or are these active terminators only used with 68pin cables?

Good point. Ah, let's see... Active termination:
    Active Termination is a more advanced form of terminating SCSI cables. It is usually associated with SCSI2 and SCSI3. Active Terminators control the impedance at the end of the SCSI bus by using a voltage regulator, not just the power supplied by the interface card.
    Have the HDD attached to the 50pin cable with a 68pin adapter. Have no idea whether the adapter is terminating. Since the SCSI2 Jaz works fine at the end of the cable, it would seem that terminating the end of a SCSI bus is not the same as terminating the end of a cable.

Pardon my ignorance but just created an oxymoron. And I'm the moron. Don't understand about termination enough to know what the next step to do is.

Read all the archives on SCSI termination before posting this. Guess it didn't elevate my SCSI IQ any.

What now?

------------------

Thread Information