Raid Cards
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Raid Cards

Raid Cards

Im thinking about getting 2 ibm deskstars, and raiding them. My mobo doesnt have raid build in, so what would be the best card to do it with...and does it make that much of a difference what card I get(im new to raid). Im thinking between 50-75 U.S. or whatever y'all suggest.
    Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance but why do you need to have a card for hardware RAID with only two HDDs? You can do software RAID without any addl expense.

There are 7 flavors of RAID. Five official RAID classifications with a twist on RAID 1, bringing that total to 6. RAID 0 is called RAID although it doesn't provide any fault tolerance, just improved performance.

RAID 1 is mirroring. You can do it with 2 HDDs. If you put the 2nd HDD on the secondary IDE controller, you've got HW fault tolerance for both the HDD and the controller in case one or the other or both go bad. Don't recommended it, 'though, since CD-ROMs and other ATAPI devices usually only run at UDMA33, and even UDMA66 is slower than the newer Deskstars.

RAID 2 is disk striping with parity, and is also done in SW. But it requires at least 3 HDDs. Your system partition shouldn't be striped since, should a HDD fail, you don't want your system bogged down recreating the operating system from parity information.

RAID 0 is disk striping. No fault tolerance. You shouldn't stripe your system partition.

If you must AMI (American Megatrends) has a good reputation for RAID devices.

------------------
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -

Tomschaft
    I've got two deskstar 30 gigs with a Promise Fastrack 100 running RAID 0. I'm into Audio and Video editing so I need the speed and I find the Promise setup a breeze. One of the simplest & trouble free PC periferals I've ever done. All I can say is, Promise does it well.

I also have a 4 gig IDE drive which serves as a file and ghost backup. The RAID setup is 3.5 times faster.

Cheers...
    I'd rather be GLIDING

Thanks for the suggestion, Daylef

One more quick question...What is the difference between the Promise Fasttrak 100TX2, and the Promise Fast Track 100 Ultra?? Let me know please, thanks alot.

I'm reasonably sure that the TX card is a 32bit PCI 66MHz capable card, so it MAY be faster in a 66MHz slot (of which there aren't many at all)

Well, I guess I will go with the Ultra card...thanks everybody. Just ordered my 60gxp's yesterday...the card is the only thing left

Thread Information