USB or Parallel ??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: USB or Parallel ??

Hybrid View

USB or Parallel ??

Is it better to connect a printer through hte parallel port or the USB port ?
    Linux Ubuntu, 4850e, 2GB Ram, ASUS m3n78-vm, 19" Dell CRT Flat Screen, NEC 1300a DVD burner.

When you think of parallel vs. USB, you think of the speed difference. But when you speak of printer's, interface speed really plays no role - it's up to the printer to spit out the ppm. So it really doesn't matter, but I'd go with USB anyway (USB A-B cable costs less doesn't it? )

------------------
    Listen you, when I catch you I'm gonna rip your eyes out and shove em down your pants so you can watch me beat the crap out of you!!!

Right now I'm using the parallel cable because I happened to have one and my USB ports were all filled up.
    I just was curious if there was a benifit to USB connection.
    As much as I love my new HP932 printer it doesn't get the 9ppm it promises, although it's WAY faster than the Lexmark it replaced.
    We have a Brother MFC8300 laser printer at work rated for 12ppm and it prints 3 pages in the time the HP would print one.
    Are lasers and injets speed rated by different standards ??
    Linux Ubuntu, 4850e, 2GB Ram, ASUS m3n78-vm, 19" Dell CRT Flat Screen, NEC 1300a DVD burner.

couldn't answer your last question, but yeah... everything is spooled to the print queue anyway... the only thing really limiting speed is the actual printer and the kind of document it's printing.

------------------
    Listen you, when I catch you I'm gonna rip your eyes out and shove em down your pants so you can watch me beat the crap out of you!!!

your speed limiter is your pc. the slower the pc, the slower the spooling process. all spooling takes place on the pc for inkjets or bubblejets.
    - usb will allow you to maximize your speed to the printer from your windows spooler (which uses ram), and the actual ppm the printer can print will be reflective only on a system with enough resources available.
    -of course, the higher the resolution of your images means more dots need be applied to the page, which means more time
    -all bubblejet speeds are rated at 300dpi 5% density of ink on the page.

Laser printers are different. they are page printers, as opposed to line printers. the whole page's data is sent to the printer as opposed to line by line, this is why it is important to have some ram on the printer. the more ram available on the printer, and on the pc, the faster the data can be sent to the printer, and stored in ram to be sent to the image processor, where it will be processed into an analog or digital signal. (which in turn turns the laser on and off)
    -the ppm factor on the printer is also directly related to the print engine incorporated inside (ie how fast toner is charged, pushed onto the paper, pulled off the paper, fused, then spit out)
    -laser printers always have roughly the same dpi - about 400-600 (cept for the new ones, they are getting damn good) so print speed really is in how long it takes the laser to write to the drum, apply the toner to drum, remove excess toner, fuse the toner on the page, and feed the paper during this whole process.

hope that clears up, not confuses the issue
    whoaa. can you tell i work for a printer company?

good luck

------------------
    a little spit, a little force
    don't make me send you to /dev/null!

On top of it all the laser is running on a 500MHZ Emachine with 32MB ram.
    The HP is run on a 800MHZ Duron with 128MB of ram.
    Guess Lasers and injets are designed to do 2 completely different jobs.
    The laser MFC was $400.00 vs the HP printers $149.00.
    The lasers print quality for text is better than the HP IMHO, although both are excellent.
    For pictures, the laser just can't do them.
    Cost per page printed/advantage: Laser.
    We have printed at least 4 packs of 500 page paper and are still on the original toner cartridge.
    I just love how the laser just spits the pages out , I guess inkjets have a ways to go to match laser speed.

Keep it on the parallel port.

------------------
    Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Thread Information