Problem Burning with CDRWin
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Problem Burning with CDRWin

Problem Burning with CDRWin

I've never used CDRWin before (I always use Nero) but someone gave me a .cue and .bin file to burn so I had to get CDRWin. I did the burn and everything seemed to go perfectly smooth. The problem is that the CD is empty. Explorer considers it a valid disk (I don't get any error when accessing the CD) it's just empty. Looking at the "dye" you can tell it's been burned. Am I doing something wrong?

what were the files exactly? just a thought, if they were the files for a bootable cd- they would be hidden by default, have you tried show all files? or tried reading in dos?
    Also if you didnt close the cd sometimes this causes the cd to show as empty.
    ------------------
    Next time you wave, use all your fingers.

CALV

[This message has been edited by CALV (edited 04-19-2001).]

This sig In memory of my kid sister, Mandy. Died 14-8-02 aged 30.
    Murdered for nothing at all by Louise Berry

CALV

No, they weren't system files, it was a very old but rare game plus that's the first thing I checked but I always show all files. There's a setting for finalizing the CD under Tools but that's on by default. I've been told that CDRWin is a good coaster-maker and that I should try Fireburner. I need something that reads .bin and .cue files and works. I use Nero. I just wish the person had just left the files in regular file format and not a CD image - that way I could just drag and drop.

CDRWin's reputation for coaster creation comes from users who have tried to register it with a key not obtained from Goldenhawk. Jeff is very intolerant of software piracy (even though he made the weapon of choice for that endeavor until CloneCD was released). If it didn't have such a clunky interface, it would be the best available (results-wise, it is).

If you are using the demo version, it is limited to 1x burning. Unfortunately, some burners (not many, but some) do not support 1x burns, and I've seen the 'blank CD syndrome' be the result.

If the disc is a simple, single session, Nero can burn it. The .cue file holds the track layout information. It will say something like
    Code:
    FILE "C:\MYGAME.BIN BINARY
      TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
        INDEX 01 00:00:00
      POSTGAP 00:02:00
    From that information, you can now tell Nero what kind of image it is. From the Nero File Menu, choose "Burn Image" and navigate to the .bin file. After you select the source file, Nero will ask you to explain the "foreign image", here you tell it the mode (in the sample .cue file above, it's a Mode 2) and the block size (in this case, 2352). A game that may be copy-protected would be best burned raw. Click OK and the standard Nero "Burn" dialog will appear. You know what to do from there

A more complex .cue file (multiple tracks) may not be burnable with Nero (I've never tried).

FireBurner, as you've mentioned, is often used as an alternative to CDRWin.

Wow, I didn't know Nero could burn a "foreign" image. I'll open the cue file later and check it out. My burner can do 1x or 2x no problem. I've already pitched CDRWin and burned the image with Fireburner - talk about a spartan interface - I started it and it just looked at me - probably why its so small. I build systems and don't mind all the tech there but for CDs I'd rather just drag, drop and burn. But thanks for teaching me something about this - it may help me in the future.

Does anyone know the link to the site that teaches you everything you ever wanted to know about burning CDs?

[This message has been edited by Chiles4 (edited 04-20-2001).]

Probably the most comprehensive site is the CDR FAQ. Andy does a good job keeping it up to date.

Thread Information