Oh dear, I think my HDD id dying
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Oh dear, I think my HDD id dying

Oh dear, I think my HDD id dying

Its a Maxtor DiamondMax VL20 20Gig, approx 1 year old. It has started developing bad sectors and has developed a worrying if intermitant squeeking noise. HDD benchmarks have gone through the floor and scandisk takes AGES, as in even longer than usual.

Is she, as I suspect, dieing, or is there anything I can do? I wasn't planing on replacing this HDD for a while, and I don't usually retire an HDD for at least 5 or 6 years.

------------------
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows 98

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

Have you looked on the Maxtor site to see if they have a utility to write zeros to the drive? Maybe their Max-Blast will do that. My IBM had some bad sectors and using the IBM Disk Go I was able to repair it.

Good luck....

------------------
    don

Long live the punch card ballot!

In my experince, I'd have to say contact Maxtor and have them send you a new one.If you have a credit card, they'll send one out before you have to send your old one so you can transfer your files. Any time I've seen bad sectors, it wasn't long and it died.

Just my opinion

Yeah JollyRoger like I mentioned in your other posting I'd highly recommend sending that 20GB Maxtor HDD in for an RMA

Sincerely,

Best4x4

Well I've got it running again with some TLC, and I kinda like the idea of 66gigs of HDD space with the 20 as a secondary, therefore I have ordered a 46gig IBM on staff discount from work. If/when the 20 dies properly I'll RMA its *** (wont be the first one either, the first Maxtor 20 I had was DOA, I'm fast going off Maxtor).

------------------

Oh no, that's Windows 98

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

Is this the same JollyRoger HDD that just the other day exhibited its first bad cluster?

When scandiskw is taking longer than usual, can you hear the HDD making repetitive noises like it's trying to read and reread parts of clusters?

------------------
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -

My IBM 75GXP developed bad sectors about 3 days ago, I havent formatted it yet, are you saying if I use that program IBM provides, it will take the bad sectors away? i mean it will still be there physically right? but it just wont show up and stuff on scandisk etc? i rather send it for a RMA

------------------
    Celery 2 566@566
    Asus P3V4X
    Asus v6800
    256 PC-150 Kingmax
    Quantum Fireball Plus AS 20GB
    IBM GXP75 30GB
    AOpen 48x CD-Rom
    SB AWE64
    I dont know... I just dont.

yes ST:TNG, same HDD, except that the day after I posted here first, it went a couple of steps further and stopped reading some rather important files (aka, the Windows registry ) I pulled it out, re installed on my spare 6.4, put the 20 in as secondary and scandisked. That took ages, but completed and the drive is now working again, seemingly flawlessly (doesn't even squeek, which it used to do every time it hit a bad cluster)

------------------

Oh no, that's Windows 98

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Thread Information