How can I test CD-R and CD-RW media ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How can I test CD-R and CD-RW media ?

How can I test CD-R and CD-RW media ?

Formerly I used a removable Hard-Drive for all my backup's but now I've got a CD-RW drive I want to use CD-RW's for my back-ups.

One thing that bothers me is that I know that given time and enough erasures that the media may become unreliable. But I don't have any way to test the current state of the media so Iím assuming that the first Iíll know about this is when I canít read a (possibly irreplaceable) file .

Does anyone know of any good software to test CD-R and CD-RW media?

I would prefer CDR for my back-ups since the cost down here is around 20 pesos each ($1=46pesos)--very cheap.

I don't know of any software for testing.
    What I usually check is the surface appearance (crystal defects) of the disc. I unormally burnt at around 500-550mb on a 650mb CDR.

I'm basing this idea when I was in Semicon Co.-- the outer portion of the wafer has less yield compare to the inner part.

------------------
    When illusion becomes sacred, truth is rejected as profane." - Feurbach
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

HOME

Yeah, I agree that CD-R's are cheap enough but I prefer CD-RW for backup because you can rotate them and don't end up with masses of old backup disks to store or destroy.

What I'm looking for is something like a program that can read every sector and report the numbers of times that ECC is needed. ie something that will show if a disk is deteriorating (or even bad from new if it's a cheap CD-RW disk).

Thread Information