Modem Problems2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Modem Problems2

Modem Problems2

I am still having problems. I have tried the uninstall/reinstall thing. I had this problem when I 1st got the computer but when I finished installing Win98SE my modem worked. Do I have to uninstall my OS to get it to work? Please help I am about to throw my modem out of the window.

Have been following your posts closely. Up until you mentioned Windows Me, I could've helped you.

If you think experience on W95C might help, let me know.

One shot in the dark, since I don't know whether Me has the same functionality, would be to go into Setup, uncheck Dial-Up Networking. Let it uninstall. Restart. Go back into setup, check Dial-Up Networking. Then let it reinstall.

For Windows 95 users, the only thing I found that works on all modem types, HSP Winmodems etc, is to remove everything that uses a modem. Do that first. In other words don't try installing the modem when there are other processes / programs that might be using or want to use the modem.

For me that meant Norton LiveUpdate and a whole lotta other stuff. But you'll hafta hear from some Me people. Because this might be exactly the kind of W95 faulty memory usage and other stuff that was fixed in 98 or Me.

There's always reinstalling as a last resort. But you already knew that.

------------------
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -

I am not using Windows Me. I am using 98SE. Is it possible my modem just went bad?

Hiyas
    Don't think its neccessary to re9install OS over again. Just the modem parts of the OS.
    Starting with the Device Manager (Windows Key + Pause or Break key).
    Start computer in safe mode. Go into the Device manager highlight and remove modem drivers listed.
    Restart computer in normal mode. Put the Win98SE CD disc in allow to autostart. Click on Add/Remove button. In the communication section, make note of what boxes are checked. Uncheck the boxes and OK out of the Windows Setup. Now turn right round and start Add/Remove/Windows Setup tab again. Recheck the boxes in the communication section. OK out of the setup and reboot computer. Test to see if modem works now.
    Another maintainace thing can do with Win98SE is START/RUN/sfc, use Win98 folder on the Win98SE disc as source, for any corupted system files.
    Check the Device Manager to see if there is a Modem driver. Check the manufactures web site for any updated drivers for it.
    In the Control Panel there is Modem Icon. It has a Modem Hardware wizard to help with those harder then usual mdeoms that windows didn't detect rightaway.
    A modem uses a Com port. A modem when assigned a wrong com port will not function. Try changing the Com port assignments. It will take using the Modem wizard to remove the modem and reinstall again get a chance to asign com port. Com port 1 & 2 are common asignments, but seen modems on Com 3 & 4 also.
    The other settings for the modem leave as default.
    regards Bronto

Thread Information