usb
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: usb

usb

Ihave three usb peripherals and only two usb slots, can i get a devider or do i have to hot swap every time?

HUB

127 peripherals. USB makes it possible to simultaneously use and connect up to 127 devices to a single bus. The computer typically has 2 USB ports, so USB hubs are used to connect additional devices to the computer. USB hubs have multiple USB ports for connection of USB devices and for daisy chaining one or more hubs.

From this page: www.usbman.com/What%20is%20USB.htm

Hope this helps.

Axe

Axe is right, but be mindful of throughput if the number of devices is high. It should seem obvious that the more info you put down the wire the slower it will function.

I have 5 devices. Four running off one hub and a single device of the second mobo port. I notice no decline in performance and it's heaps better than normal serial and parallel ports.

Cheers...
    I'd rather be GLIDING

Axe is right, but be mindful of throughput if the number of devices is high. It should seem obvious that the more info you put down the wire the slower it will function.

I have 5 devices. Four running off one hub and a single device of the second mobo port. I notice no decline in performance and it's heaps better than normal serial and parallel ports.

One more thing if you do go for a hub, get a powered one. Older mobos don't have the grunt to drive some peripherals.
    Cheers...
    I'd rather be GLIDING

Thread Information