what is the best CD-RW available?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: what is the best CD-RW available?

what is the best CD-RW available?

Hi everybody? I'm thinking of buying a CD-RW to fit in with my system. Can anyone tell me what CD-RW is the best in term of it's performance on any system and compatibilities with a Linux system?

[This message has been edited by Bink (edited 09-14-99).]

I'm not sure about its compatability with Linux, but I know someones bound to say it eventually (in particular, Toolbox ).

Plextor!
    http://www.plextor.com/

I also recommend Ricoh, as they seem to have a pretty good reputation among the cheaper range of writers.

From what I've heard SCSI is the way to go. If your copying music the IDE drives may tend to screw up the recording. Something about buffer overuns. I just got a HP 8110i and love it. Its a IDE drive but its all I could afford. Software is good and so is the manual. Circuit City had them on sale for $179. after rebate. Be forwarned, when you see the speed specks on them they show you the speed specks for CD-R. CD-RW is slower. Not a huge deal but something i didn't know until after i bought it.

I have a Yamaha 4/4/16 SCSI. It has a 2 meg buffer and runs great. The SCSI interface allows seamless multi-tasking. For example, a few months ago I remember playing a game of Quake 2 while burning a CD.

However, if you're burning at 4x, I wouldn't recommend doing heavy multi-tasking, because if the data flow to the laser is interrupted for even one millisecond, the CD is worthless! The big buffer helps, but only for a little while.

I have no idea about its compatibility in Linux. But being a recognized name brand, drivers are probably available.

Well, I might consider the Plextor but what if I choose a IDE CDRW? You see, I already have a SCSI CD drive will it effect the performance if I want to make a CD to CD copy?

SCSI to SCSI would give you the best reliability, because SCSI is designed for heavy multi-tasking!

I always burn the image first from my IDE CD-ROM to my SCSI hard drive, then burn from that drive to the burner. The only times I get buffer underrun is when I'm running some heavy-duty application off the SCSI hard drive while simultaneously burning at 4x. My Atlas III isn't fast enough for that!

I'm here! BINK is absolutely right... PLEXTOR is the best! It has a 4 MB buffer and you can burn while doing other stuff on the PC, including Quake. SCSI to SCSI is far better than IDE to SCSI.

Go for a Plextor! You'll have it forever... they don't break down!

------------------
    The Asus P3B-F Is One Board You'll Never Run Out Of Problems With!

? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I too have been looking for a CD-RW and am impressed with the Plextor one. I was just wondering if the best one they have (the 16x10x40) came in an external version so I can have dual drives.

[---CD-RW---]
    [----DVD----]

Kinda like my little illustration. Hope anyone can help, thanks.

"BINK is absolutely right... PLEXTOR is the best!
    Saying Plextor is the best isn't 100% true. It should be Plextor is among the best in my opinion. There is an awful lot of excellent CD-RW drives out there right now made by Ricoh, Sanyo, HP/Sony, Teac, and Yamaha. Plextor makes great SCSI drives (BTW: they stopped making SCSI 40X CD-ROM drives), but I wouldn't call their IDE CD-RW drives the best.

My CD-RW Drive recommendations:

Ricoh MP7125A-DP 12x10x32
    Ricoh MP9120-DP 12x10x32x and 8x DVD
    TDK 16x10x40 (aka Sanyo CRD-BP1400P)
    Yamaha 16x10x40 (IDE or SCSI)
    Teac 12x10x32

Sincerely,

Best4x4

Please, let's not repeat what we've heard as fact. There are countless IDE drives in the field doing a fabulous job copying audio material.

I've heard that people that think SCSI recorders do a better job at recording audio are clueless morons, but I'd never repeat such conjecture as fact, or advise others based on that conjecture, especially if I actually owned an IDE drive.

a TDK 12x10x32 CDRW. its clearly the best!!!

------------------
    Why I keep on giving you all this "Good A... Advice"!!!!!
    Why I keep on giving you all this "Good A... Advice"!!!!!

Wow, been ages since posted here. Damn school...
    Be sure to check out the new BURN-Proof technology drives (Plextor and TEAC implement it that I know, there are others too). Basically it makes buffer underruns a thing of the past. (Yes you can actually USE your puter while you burn)

Cal

BTW, I guess that finally puts the nail in the coffin to the old "SCSI vs. IDE" burning dilemma

Thread Information