Recommendation
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Recommendation

Recommendation

I have a 30gig hdd, right now its got 2 partitions, with is 50%-50%. Next monday i m getting a brand new 20gig drive (from warranty from a drive that died about 3 months ago). just wanna know whats the best thing to do, just part the 20gig into 2 of 10 and 10 and put it as primary slave? or...? TIA
    I dont know... I just dont.

Really you can do whatever you want. If you prefer to have things separated and organized into different drives, then partition it. If you just want storage space, leave it as a single 20gig drive. It all depends on what you want and what you need it for.

------------------
    WHASSSSUUUUP???

Hello TaNG greetings from Perth

Speaking from experience do yourself a favour and match the 30 gig drive you already have. That way you can add a RAID (0) setup which will make a big diff in performance.

Personally I wouldn't go overboard on partitions. I have one in my 2x30 gig RAID (looks like 1 x 60 gig drive to Windows) setup which is all I need.

Cheers

ps how are the floods in NSW
    I'd rather be GLIDING

heya, i think i might just leave it as a single 20 gig and just fill the ***** up with mp3's and stuff, hehe good stuff, thanks for the replies

Hello to you too Daylef, what floods are you talking about sorry? its not mentioned much here.
    I dont know... I just dont.

There is an advantage to having a smaller boot partition (2-4Gig) when you have two drives. You can ghost the boot partition to your second drive and have a fast and reliable way to get things working well if the computer gets glitchy. You are also up and running fast with a drive failure on your boot drive. Even with all of your programs installed on the boot partition the ghost is usually smaller than a Gig due to compression.

Otherwise I donít see where partitions are any better for organizing your stuff than just using folders. You can squeeze more stuff on the drives by keeping the cluster size down to 4k by restricting your partitions to 8Gigs, but the FAT gets too large with as much space as you have. Large files like MP3s and graphics work better with larger clusters anyway.
    If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know

Slipe, what you said is interesting. How do you ghost a boot partition properly?

Thread Information