Printer prints garbage in Windoze, but fine in DOS! :(
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Printer prints garbage in Windoze, but fine in DOS! :(

Printer prints garbage in Windoze, but fine in DOS! :(

The subject says it all really.
    I've got an Epson 700. It's a good printer, but has just thrown a wobbly on me. Actually, I think it's Windoze that's playing up.
    When I try to print a document - anything from a graphics file, Word file, or simple text (.TXT) file, using Word, MS Works, Notepad, Wordpad, etc, all it prints is a few lines of garbage, then ejects several sheets of paper - some of which it prints a small amount of garbage on, and others are just blank.
    At first I thought it was my printer. Then I went into DOS mode (from Windoze), and tried printing a file to the printer from there. eg. COPY TEST.TXT LPT1 and it printed the file perfectly. That, to me, seems to say that either the drivers, or Windoze are at fault.
    So, I tried re-installing the drivers. No joy. Tried deleting the drivers. No Joy. Tried removing the whole printer port and drivers. No Joy. It still prints garbage when run from a Windoze application.
    All I can assume is that there's something corrupted in Windoze that I've overlooked.
    The problem did happen the day after I used a direct cable connection (through the COM2 serial ports) to connect my girlfriend's computer to mine to print a document from her computer to mine. It worked fine. And I did print some homework from my computer to the printer later that day. Since then, all it's printed from a Windoze application, is garbage.
    I'll take the printer to my g/f's computer tomorrow to see if it'll print fine while connected to her computer, and I reckon it will.
    Any ideas would be appreaciated.
    Many Thanks,

Mr_Wobble

------------------
    Keep On Rockin' 'n' Overclockin' ;-)

Go to Start|Settings|Printers and delete the printer entry there. Then double-click Add Printer and install it again, either using the original driver disks or download new drivers from www.epson.com. If Windows asks if you want to keep an existing driver or replace it, choose to replace it.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

You cud also remove first the previous windoz driver before installing the latest driver.

------------------
    When illusion becomes sacred, truth is rejected as profane." - Feurbach
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

HOME

Hi Tuttle,
    Thankyou, I tried that, but with no luck I'm affraid.

Hi Butchsor,
    I suspect it's either a Windoze setting, or a corrupted Windoze driver, that's causing the problem. Which driver were you refering to? The Epson, or Windoze, driver. I've already tried deleting the Epson driver, and re-installed it.
    I've just tried the printer on my girlfriend's computer, and it works perfectly. My computer will also print from DOS, but not through Windoze. That's why I reckon it's a Windoze problem.
    Any further ideas would be welcomed.

Nice pic by the way Butchsor. Are you just into re-creating Medievel life, or do you re-create battles, or is it just LRP/LARP?

Mr_Wobble

------------------

check your lpt port setting in bios setup. it should be ecp or eccp for newer printer (enable 2 ways communications).

aa

This might help:
    www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/io.htm

Axe

sounds like a 2 way communication problem. the reason it works in dos is cuz your using a simple copy command. in winblowz most desktop printers drivers have all that crap built in like a voice coming back and telling u add paper.(grrr i hated that chick from the canon 600 series!!!)if u havn't replaced the cable recently, then it's probly the bios lpt settings play around with all of them (depending on ur bios--2way,ecp/epp,ecp,etc...) and c if one works. make sure u get the latest driver from the manuf. and if all else fails borrow someone elses cable and try it(yes i have seen parallel cables stop working:\) if it still don't work try the printer on some other system.

Use the EPSON printer driver bundled with Windows first then try printing graphics directly to lpt1, If it will not work;

Set your printer properties from lpt1 to FILE and do print-to-file method-- I'm simulating print-to-file under windows.

to print the file to your printer:
    C:>\ copy filename.prn lpt1 /b

goodluck!

see if all the graphics are printed.

------------------
    When illusion becomes sacred, truth is rejected as profane." - Feurbach
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

HOME

Thread Information