help with iomega 8X4X32!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: help with iomega 8X4X32!

help with iomega 8X4X32!

hi people...havent been to HWC in a while

anyway, i have an iomega 8X4X32 (picked this one cause it cost me $60) and have been burning for a while. in the last couple of months, i cannot burn at 8X. i use Nero, and whenver i tell it to use 8X, it burns for around 5% completed and them says "write speed changed due to media" and changes the write speed to 4X

i have used lots of different CD-R media including the discontinued sonys (20 pack with case for $0.49 ), imation, memorex, TDK, and even iomega brand (which ironically is the only one that was made into a coaster).

can anyone give me some tips? iomega's tech support seems to have been taken hostage or have suffered from a chemical explosion....thanks!

------------------
    MAC= Must Achieve Corruptness!

[This message has been edited by ah6tyfour (edited 01-21-2001).]

Ironic indeed, but if that's the only brand it happens with, well, quit burning them at 8x

Imation doesn't build their own drives, so it's not too far out of line to suggest their media might not be a good match to one of their own drives.

If it starts happening to the others, then you've got troubles. For now, it's "Doctor, it hurts when I do this". "Then don't do that".

but my question is not about the coaster....its about not being able to burn at 8X....it takes around 17 minutes to burn a CD at 4X, and thats why i upgraded to the 8X a few months ago. is there a way to return it to burning at 8X?

------------------

Oops! My bad. I misread the comment about the Imations to imply that only they had the problem. On second look, that's not what you said at all.

Well then, like I said, you've got troubles. That error, when it happens to all media, almost always indicates diminished laser output (which, of course, would be a bad thing).

I have seen reports that Nero mistakenly locks a drive out of its highest speed due to a failure writing a faulty disc. Re-running the 'Determine Maximun Speed' test is purported to fix that. I've never seen it happen, nor has anyone I know, but you never know.

The Nero version I'm running doesn't have that exact error anywhere in it. They may have changed terminology, but it does have a set of errors that refer to laser power output, and to use their words "these are really bad hardware errors". They recommend having the drive serviced (which, in English, means "throw it away").

If you can, see if you can get it to behave with other software. Perhaps Nero has just wigged out on this drive. slipe has been recommending software originally intended as OEM packaging with Sony drives, but it appears they're leaving it accessible to everyone for now. I haven't used it yet, but he speaks quite highly of it, and that carries a lot of weight with me. Give that a shot, you've got nothing to lose, really.

Perhaps a carefully aimed shot of canned air might be in order as well...

[This message has been edited by NoBoB (edited 01-21-2001).]

on the info of my burner from nero confirms that nero detects it as a 8X burner. and downloading the sony software doesnt seem to work right now, i'll try again later.

i'm HOPING its not the laser, cause this drive isnt even 4 months old yet.

where do i have nero "redetermine maximum speed"? thanks!

------------------

If there's too many users on the Sony FTP site, you'll get the 'Page not available' error in IE. If you can, copy the actual link to the file (after you click through all that stuff) and use an FTP client to retrieve it. You can set FTP programs to keep trying.

On the 'Burn' dialog, there should be a check box for 'Determine Maximum Speed' (or something similar) that's usually off. Check it and see if it helps. I don't think so, but it has apparently helped others.

If it's only four months old, is it still covered by warranty?

Now you know why it was $60

no...the $60 is because i used a staples courtesy $50 off copuon, and a $30 off $100 coupon and pricematched to outpost.....and with a $50 mail in rebate from iomega...the warranty is 1 year...perhaps if i ask nicely, they'll upgrade to the 12X10X32 as a courtesy to their dear customer

------------------

I'll cross my fingers if it'll help

they refused to help me because i used nero....i then installed adaptec and used it, but it crashed my system. finally, he was going to help me figure out what was wrong with adaptec when the clock stroke 9PM and their systems all went through shut down procedures.....i was then told to call back the next day......aint they the greatest tech support you have ever seen?

------------------

If you installed DirectCD with the Adaptec there can be problems if you have Nero on the computer at the same time.

The easiest possible solution is to do a search for SCSI1HLP and delete it or rename the VXD extension – Nero recommends just deleting it.

If that doesn’t work try uninstalling just the DirectCD – EZ CD Creator does not need it to function.

If you are still getting crashes with the Adaptec I would uninstall all the burner software and then just reinstall the Adaptec. It isn’t that I think it is that great or will necessarily solve your problem but you can get your tech support if you get it working. If the burner is malfunctioning they won’t RMA the thing until they have gone through their troubleshooting and they evidently only know how to do that with the Adaptec.

I find the Sony software than NoBob linked to be hassle free and easy to use but it is certainly not better than Nero – not as good for some things. I do think it is better than the standard EZ CD though.

------------------
    If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know
    If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know

thanks for your input guys....i will try it out and hopefully get adaptec working....i really do hope the burner is dying and they're replace it with the 12X10X32 (linksys did this for my router! offered me upgrade form 1-port to 4-port!)

------------------

I don't think Iomega is going to replace your 8x4x32 drive with a 12x10x32 drive

If DMA is enabled for the CD-RW drive try disabling it. Also how are you attempting to burn with Nero? Are you burning directly from CD to CD or are you burning an image first and then burning to a blank CD-R? Do you have the latest version of Nero 4.0.9.1 or 5.0.3.8? Are you using the stock Win9x/Win2k IDE Busmaster Drivers or did you install some Chipset specific IDE Busmaster Drivers? Also it isn't a good idea to mix Nero with Adaptec Easy CD Creator. I'd un-install Easy CD Creator and just try Nero again all by itself. You also might want to email or call Iomega and ask if you have the latest firmware for your 8x4x32 CD-RW drive.

Sincerely,

Best4x4

iomega hasnt had any new firmware updates...they are still at version 1.1

i have nero all by itself. whenever i install adaptec, my system crashes so i go into safe mode and uninstall adaptec....

whats DMA?
    i am burning files from my C: to a CD...
    thanks!

and if i ask nicely, who knows, i might get a 12X10X32...hehe....its costs around $70 more on the iomega direct website...maybe i can pay an extra $20 and upgrade or something...as they say "if theres a will, theres a way"

------------------

DMA = Direct Memory Access

To disable/enable it click on start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/CDROM/Iomega 8x4x32 Drive/settings/DMA option

Sincerely,

Best4x4

P.S. You might want to do some research on your 8x4x32 CD-RW drive. It's probably made by Sanyo. If it is you can easily update the firmware using the Sanyo firmware.

Thread Information