Choice of new printer
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choice of new printer

Choice of new printer

Hi everyone,

My old Epson Stylus Color 600 is almost dead, so i've decided to buy a new one I've narrowed the choices down to these two machines :
    - Epson Stylus Color 880
    => not too expensive, 2880 dpi, ink cheaper, USB, nice looks, very new, quiet, fast
    - HP Deskjet 970 Cxi
    => Little more expensive, less dpi, more expensive ink, double sided printing, USB, quiet, older, even better looks, fast
    Problem : WHICH ONE ??
    Plz correct me if I'm wrong with these pros / contras, and which one do you guys suggest? I like the HP for the name, but I like the Epson too since it is more new and the ink is a lot cheaper...
    Thx in Advance and a happy New Year to all of you !!
    Crusher.

I like the HP 970, the double sided printing is fantastic. It even pauses to let the ink dry a little before it prints the other side! My Dad got one for Christmas, if I didn't already have a HP 930 I would buy one.
    It is just my opinion but I would get the HP 970.
    Inwin Q500 FT
    IWILL KK266
    640 mb PC-100
    Duron 1 Ghz
    Gforce 4 MX 420
    Mini Super Orb
    Pioneer 16x DVD
    Philips 24/12/40
    Philips 107S 17" Monitor
    Logitech Z-340s
    Win XP Pro

Gotta go with the HP. Definitely a better brand in my opinion, plus I love the way they hold the paper. Double sided printing? Sounds like a cool option. Since you say you've narrowed it down to those two models, I guess this is a feature you want. You mentioned ink costs too, do you go through a lot of ink? If so, maybe you should get the Epson for its cheaper ink.

Matt

It has a lot to do with your printer use. If it is mainly for black text the HP will edge out the Epson. For photo printing on premium photo paper the Photo Epsons have the edge. The DPI numbers are not that significant. The Photo Epsons will give a little better photo output at best quality than either the regular Epsons or HPs Ė both of which have higher DPI numbers. I think they all do best quality black text at 600 DPI.

Ink cost has a lot to do with your use as well. If you print mostly in black the HP black cartridge is falling off a log easy to refill. It is so easy that it is more convenient than having to stock new cartridges for me. If I do a big print job I just top off the cartridge to make sure I donít run out of ink. If you have ever run out of ink printing the second side of a 120 page two sided print job you wonít repeat the mistake. I get premium WJ1010 ink by the pint from www.oddparts.com and use their refill instructions with the set screw. Look for about 8 refills per cartridge at about $2 per refill.

If you print a lot of color the HP color cartridge is harder to refill. I do it and am happy with the results, but there is a learning curve and it is a bit of a hassle. If your primary use is to be color I would think the Epsons would offer cheaper printing. I guess you are aware that the HP refill cartridges come with new print heads where the Epsons have permanent heads and the cartridges are just ink tanks. The new heads with the HP is a good news/bad news thing. Your heads donít deteriorate with age and if they get clogged up they are accessible and can be easily replaced with a new cartridge. The bad news is that you canít get cheap after market tanks for the HPs like you can for the Epsons. If you stick with factory refills for both the HPs are about as economic as the Epsons.

------------------
    If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know
    If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know

Thanks for all the replies, but I am still not sure...I use quite a lot of ink, but I am not so eager for refilling. Is there a lot of difference in quality / speed between these two printers on normal paper? I don't print photos a lot, but I like good quality though. I think I'll go for the Epson because the HP ink is a little too expensive for me.

HP is great on ordinary paper. You can still save ink usage since you can choose what mode of printing you want--econo, normal and best.

If you buy HP970 (currently the latest HP I have) be sure to disable bi-directional communication coz every time you remove the cartridge, it will do ink calibration which does not the case on my old HPs.

If still not sure, READ what are the problem/solution on HP users.

------------------
    When illusion becomes sacred, truth is rejected as profane." - Feurbach
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

HOME

Has anyone had any experience with the Epson 880? Because all of the replies were about the HP. Is it fast and quiet? And the quality on normal paper?

Epson stylus 880 is quiet, 37db. But not as quiet as Epson photo 870. The 2880dpi doesn't mean anything. Any of the 6 color photo inkjets at 1440dpi will produce better photos.

The stylus 880 is pretty fast, although not as fast as stylus 980 (The fastest inkjet printer under $300). And on glossy paper it prints great photo.

The ink consumption of stylus 880 might be more than the HP. HP is know to use less ink. And I don't know if there is anyway to get ink re-fill kit for epson stylus 880 because I remembered the catridge has a chip in it.

THere's a reason why the HP ink is a little more expensive then the epson ink. The actual print head is on the ink cartridge for the HP printer. On the Epson printers, the print head is on the printer itself. What does this all mean? Well every year, you have to clean the print heads on the epson. On the HP, everytime you change the ink, you change the print head. The cost of cleaing the print head is about 60 cdn.

go for HP Printer. You'll never regret. Although you have to pay a little bit extra, but the quality is good. However, as we all know, HP stand for "High Price", you might need to consider your ink consumption in long run.

Why not other brand like Lexmark? Their model Z32 and Z52 are pretty good... in fact, from what I see on my peer's Lexmark, it is almost as good as my HP printer. Their catridge and the printer itself is DEFINITELY cheaper than HP/Epson.

------------------
    People who live in the past rob the future.
    On the outskirts of every agony sits some observant fellow who points

I never ever trust Epson again after 2 of which I have bought in the past that went dead on me after a week of usuage. INK DRY out if not used for more then a day! and it still like this these day. Most of us tend to leave the printer not in use say 1 week to a month, to save INK. so stay 100 feet away from this printer and you're OK anything else is better. dont care about the higher quality then any other printer, I just want something that work in the long run, not go to trashcan because it was made to clogged up after a short period of usage. I think they did that on purpose, take out the cartridge in the demo version look at the print head and you will see what I mean. That is something that EPSON or anyone don't want you to know, only after you bought and use it for awhile will you find this out, the hardway that is.
    That is just one of the worst thing about it, there is more but I have to write a book to cover all the cons about it. hehe.

------------------
    Pretty Sammy from Tenchi Miyu!

The difference between inks used in HP and Epson:

Epson: Fast drying ink, you can touch the paper as soon as it is out.

HP: slow drying ink, you have to wait a little while before touch the paper to let the ink dry.

The difference between paper feeding mechanism in HP and Epson:

HP: front feed, lots of jams

Epson: much better feeding mechanism

The difference between print head design in HP and Epson:

HP: print head on ink cartridge, no cloging problem.

Epson: print head separate from ink cartridge, hard to replace or unreplacable.

Print quality of HP and Epson:

HP: Good for text printing, good photo printing on plain paper and photo paper.

Epson: So so for text printing, excellent photo printing only on Epson photo paper.

Quietness of HP and Epson:

HP: Most model pretty quiet.

Epson: old models very noisy, new models such as photo 870 much quieter than new HP models.

Cost in the long run for HP and Epson:

HP: printer cost expensive, ink consumption normal.

Epson: printer cost less, ink consumption a little higher.

Speed of HP and Epson:

HP: most models slow, some high end models pretty fast.

Epson: stylus series has two of the fastest inkjets among all, stylus 980 the speed demon and stylus 880 also a fast one. Photo printer a bit slow but still faster than HP models.

Recommended use of HP and Epson inkjets:

For everyday normal printing and occasional photo printing: HP

Mostly for photo printing and demand for the best quality: Epson

Iíve been using HPs for four years and NEVER had a paper jam on my 722 or 930. I buy inkjet paper by the ream at Sams and have gone through two reams. It regularly eats everything from copy paper to 110# index stock as well as all kinds of photo paper. The paper feed is fine on the HP as long as you square up the paper properly and take care that the paper stays flat in storage.

So do you mean the 722 and 930s are better than the rest?

No. You said there were lots of jams on HPs and I identified those two as the only ones I have experience with. Paper feed is fine on those and I presume I canít be lucky enough to have just happened to pick the only two with good paper feed.

Thread Information